1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

temp needle not lighting up

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by jonny1985, Mar 7, 2013.

1. jonny1985

jonny1985 Member

Well over the last few weeks I have noticed the temp needle on my S3 8p is intermittent sometimes it will illuminate and other times it won't . Temp reading is fine sits at 90 as it should . Any ideas or has any had the same problem .

Thanks
  2. TDI140

TDI140 Well-Known Member

Sounds like the bulb behind on the cluster needs replacing look for a thread on how to remove the whole cluster maybe someone will come along who has done it before
  3. jonny1985

jonny1985 Member

Is it possible to just replace the bulb? Will the new bulb not be brighter than the rest tho with it being new ?
  4. TDI140

TDI140 Well-Known Member

That is a question i can not answer and also if i was replacing that one bulb if its possible i would replace them all to make sure i don't have to take dash apart again
  5. Geraldy212

Geraldy212 Sportback owner

Jonny, this sounds more like an intermittent contact in the lamp's power supply. I assume that these 'bulbs' are in fact light emitting diodes (LED) rather than incandescent lamps. As such they should last forever and a bit. If I am right, there will not be a large difference in brightness if one has to change it. However, most LEDs are soldered directly onto a printed circuit board, which can make the repair more difficult. Apart from taking the cluster out and gaining access to the insides, I don't think there is much you can do. With the cluster apart, look for a poor connection, or corroded plug/socket pins. Look for a forum member who has already serviced a cluster, and ask him/her about the assembly of lights/plugs etc, for guidence. Good luck
  6. jonny1985

jonny1985 Member

Thanks for the replys. I will have a search about thanks