1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TEMP GAUGE PROBLEMS ON A 98 A4 1.6

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by graham A4, Jan 3, 2009.

1. graham A4

graham A4 A4

CAN ANYONE PROVIDE ME WITH MORE INFO AS REGARDS TO A PROBLEM IM HAVING WITH MY BELOVED A4, THE TEMP GAUGE SEEMS TO HAVE A MIND OF ITS OWN, AT THE BEGINNING IT WUD NOT GO ABOVE 70 DEG SO I FITTED THE WAX TYPE TEMP SWITCH WHICH SOLVED THE PROBLEM FOR ABOUT A MONTH AND ONE DAY WHEN I WAS PUTTING THE FOOT DOWN HEAVILY THE TEMP JUST DROPPED AND EVER SINCE HAS MIND OF ITS OWN SOMEDAYS ITS PERFECT AND OTHER DAYS IT SPENDS HALF THE TIME AT 0 DEGREES AND THE OTHER HALF AT 90. I CHANGED THE SEAL ON THE COOLANT TEMP SENSOR ALSO SO NOT SURE WAT ELSE CUD B WRONG.
    ANY INFO WUD BE GREAT:blackrs4:
  2. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

well assuming the CTS is fine (was the replacement genuine?) it could be the thermostat itself?

a broken stat seems to be more consistent though, it will drop when driving fast and climb when stationary for instance.
  3. graham A4

graham A4 A4

THERE DOESNT SEEM TO BE ANY PARTICULAR TREND TO HOW THE GAUGE BEHAVES, I WILL GIVE AN EXAMPLE OF THE NORMAL BEHAVIOUR, ON A JOURNEY OF SAY 2 HRS IT MAY GO UP TO 90 AND STAY THERE FOR UP TO AN HOUR BUT THEN DROP TO 0 FOR MAYBE HALF HOUR OR MORE BUT ON CITY DRIVING STARTING FROM COLD THE GAUGE GIVES MORE TROUBLE. THE FUNNY THING IS THAT THE PROBLEM WAS WORSE A MONTH AGO IT HAS IMPROVED A BIT.
  4. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

i think that in that case its more likely to be the wiring to the sensor unless the new part has failed

fitting the new sensor will have wiggled the wiring around and made it behave normally again, now whatevers broken has come back...