Telephone incoming call alert - gone?

DonnyDriver

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've noticed over the last couple of weeks or so that when I get an incoming call to my phone the MMI display pops up as normal out of the dashboard but it doesn't play the Audi incoming call alert that I had it set to.

I've trawled through all the car's various MMI menus but cannot for the life of me find the menu where you used to be able to set this up. Could it have been removed by Audi when I last took it in for its service a few weeks ago?

Wierd !! I'd first reset the MMI then failing that delete and re-pair the phone. Not away of any settings that would mute the incoming call alert.

I think that I have the same issue as well. I don't get that many calls so wasn't sure at first but I got one yesterday and just got the screen popping up.

Plus sometimes (in fact most of the time) my contacts don't get shown on the dis or mmi. All I see is one entry that says "My Number". It was fine until a few weeks ago.
I did actually take it into my dealer and a tech looked at it - but sod's law - it worked fine for the first time in a week or more.

Reactions: Ormesome
Wierd !! I'd first reset the MMI then failing that delete and re-pair the phone. Not away of any settings that would mute the incoming call alert.
I did try a MMI reset and it showed my contacts after that. Thought it was fixed. But next time I went out it was playing up again.
I did also disconnect the phone in the Bluetooth settings in the mmi and reconnected again - no luck.
What do you mean by "..delete and repair the phone..."?

Reactions: Rob2k68
I did try a MMI reset and it showed my contacts after that. Thought it was fixed. But next time I went out it was playing up again.
I did also disconnect the phone in the Bluetooth settings in the mmi and reconnected again - no luck.
What do you mean by "..delete and repair the phone..."?

You can delete the phone from the MMI think it's under devices then in Bluetooth speak re pair them - might be worth a try.

I think that I have the same issue as well. I don't get that many calls so wasn't sure at first but I got one yesterday and just got the screen popping up.

Plus sometimes (in fact most of the time) my contacts don't get shown on the dis or mmi. All I see is one entry that says "My Number". It was fine until a few weeks ago.
I did actually take it into my dealer and a tech looked at it - but sod's law - it worked fine for the first time in a week or more.

The "my Number" notification comes up when the phone is reading out google maps directions for me. Could be this? i think when i say "Hey Siri" it also comes up the same. not 100% certain though.

My MMI screen sometimes fails to show the incoming call alert, but if this happens then the DIS always shows it. weird really. normally this happens when in media mode & streaming via buetooth, radio mode seems ok.

Whenever I used to get a call the car was set to say "You have an incoming call. You have an incoming call". It doesn't do this since it went in for a service and now I cannot even find the menu where this was originally setup. Odd.

Whenever I used to get a call the car was set to say "You have an incoming call. You have an incoming call". It doesn't do this since it went in for a service and now I cannot even find the menu where this was originally setup. Odd.
Are you sure that you set that up in the mmi?
I never set anything for mine - it just rang, or whatever you call the sound !

Hi, I've had this problem too. I set it to the 'You have an incoming call' alert and it worked fine with my Samsung S7 edge. I bought an iPhone 7 in January and since then the phone itself rings but not the MMI. I just assumed it wasn't supported by the iPhone but sounds like it may be an MMI glitch. I also cannot find the option to select a ringtone anywhere in the MMI anymore. My car hasn't been to the dealer since I bought it so it's not been updated/removed.

How odd!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've tried & tried over the weekend to fix this. I've rebooted the MMI quite a few times, messed about with the settings on my phone but still no joy. I'm now convinced that they must have updated the software when in was last in for a service and now that functionality has been removed. I'm going to check with AUDI themselves to see if they can throw any light on it...

Hi, I've had this problem too. I set it to the 'You have an incoming call' alert and it worked fine with my Samsung S7 edge. I bought an iPhone 7 in January and since then the phone itself rings but not the MMI. I just assumed it wasn't supported by the iPhone but sounds like it may be an MMI glitch. I also cannot find the option to select a ringtone anywhere in the MMI anymore. My car hasn't been to the dealer since I bought it so it's not been updated/removed.

How odd!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This describes my situation exactly as well (except my new phone is an iphone6)

My MMI Software version is MSTD_EU_AU_P3151

This seems like it's been out for quite a while though, so now I'm puzzled even more !

Last edited:
Same issues with me!! I have an iPhone 5s and when a call is received there is no ' ringing ' sound from the MMI to alert me!!! I only got the car in March!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same issues with me!! I have an iPhone 5s and when a call is received there is no ' ringing ' sound from the MMI to alert me!!! I only got he car in March!!!

Strange, I got mine in March and haven't had any issues with it.

Cheers Mutley75! Useful info! I'll try the volume up when I receive a call!

Just phoned myself from the house land line to my mobile while sat in my drive and it worked!! The mobile rang with no sound but turned the volume control and voila.... it rang

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Tom.H
Just phoned myself from the house land line to my mobile while sat in my drive and it worked!! The mobile rang with no sound but turned the volume control and voila.... it rang

lol

enhanced-6752-1447252734-17.jpg

Reactions: Flying Scotsman and Rob2k68
Lol!! The things you have to go through to get something sorted!!

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Tom.H
Same issues with me!! I have an iPhone 5s and when a call is received there is no ' ringing ' sound from the MMI to alert me!!! I only got the car in March!!!

Mine was OK when I got the iphone in January (Samsung before that). But started misbehaving a month or two ago.
I will try the volume control dodge (but I wonder why it should happen)
I still only get my contacts shown in the dis/mmi about one in ten times.

Mine was OK when I got the iphone in January (Samsung before that). But started misbehaving a month or two ago.
I will try the volume control dodge (but I wonder why it should happen)
I still only get my contacts shown in the dis/mmi about one in ten times.

No idea why it happens! Had no issues with the same phone on the PFL I had. All the contacts are in dis/MMI as usual, just no ringing alert when I received a call. Buttons to adjust were all greyed out and it said phone not supported!!

I don't think that I have any menu options for phone features. Under Phone it just has the bluetooth pairing options I think.

I'll have a play with it on my lunch break & see what comes up!! Trivial issue but annoying nonetheless!!

This type of menu (above) is what I am now missing. There appears to be now 2 different problems that people are mentioning:-
1) Their phone ring tone not coming through the MMI (and subsequently fixing it by adjusting the volume)
2) The option to have the MMI play it's own ringtone/tune/message. This is my problem. It used to be set to "You have an incoming call". Now it's gone and there is no way of getting it back.

Just come off the phone with the dealership. They say that my MMI software hasn't been updated and they haven't ever heard of that functionality. They're off to check other cars to see if it's on there ....

Just come off the phone with the dealership. They say that my MMI software hasn't been updated and they haven't ever heard of that functionality. They're off to check other cars to see if it's on there ....

This is how I found it!
e0c0ce69291207f5d7a6efdd21910fc3.jpg
729a54c14151bf0419440fa6d500c9e5.jpg
b2957f04493eced76e763133e2587ea1.jpg

OK - well these are my screens...

IMG 0144

IMG 0146

IMG 0148

IMG 0150

I don't even know what Mailbox number refers to!!

Reactions: Ormesome
Mailbox number is your voicemail

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Reggieboy71
OK - well these are my screens...

View attachment 127142

View attachment 127143
View attachment 127144

View attachment 127145

I don't even know what Mailbox number refers to!!

Instead of going to telephone settings, what happens if you go down a notch and click on Bluetooth settings? My MMI is the same as yours and mine announces the calls fine, with name, number & ring tone shown on MMI and DIS. It doesnt read out messages as i dont have that option. Also, go to your phone settings and click on bluetooth (on the actual phone) and check what settings you have. I have this but iv heard some have more options...

As above, Mailbox is your voicemail....
IMG 4287

I've got the same MMI version/screens/menus as RichardT.

Just checked with a work colleague who has a new A3 and his MMI is totally different. He's got text messaging ability (he doesn't have Tech pack though) and other stuff. He has the same type of screen/menu as ReggieBoy71. He therefore has options to set incoming call ringtones from the car (although 'you have an incoming call' is not one of them).

AUDI dealer said that they would look at other vehicles yesterday and ring me back. Guess what ..... :whistle2:

Reactions: Reggieboy71 and Ormesome
Ok. Dealer has phoned me back. They can't find any other A3 in their stock that has this menu option/facility. They've said I can take it in for them to look at, but the technician I spoke says he's never ever heard of this functionality, so I don't see the point of taking it in. I've asked AUDI customer services on Twitter if they can put me in touch with the tech department at headquarters in Germany to see if they know. Doubt I'll get a favourable response somehow ...

One thing to note, recently i accidentally activated a feature on my iphone that read out the name of the person calling instead of ringing. This then was transmited via buetooth via the connection, so it wouldnt ring the normal iphone ringtone, it would say "jonathon calling" or whatever name. It really does seem more like a phone issue for you guys. Doesnt it all seem to tie in to a phone change? From what i read, 2 of you have changed phones and then got different settings, Android to IOS might have different options...maybe look in to this? re- pair your Android phone and see what you get?

Also seems some confusion over FL/PFL MMI interfaces, High & Low MMI, with or without tech pack, Audi connect might after this too... All of these will give you different options, dont automatically expect to have something just cos a mate has...

Reactions: Reggieboy71
Here is the latest from AUDI customer services :-

"we've checked with the Technical team and they've advised the phone and software have not been tested for compatibility. They've advised that it is likely that the phone has done an automatic update and the vehicle doesn't now recognise it. They've also checked the vehicle history and your Audi Centre have not done any electrical updates since 2016 so we don't believe they have done this. We advise unpairing your handset and reconnecting to test if this resolves the issue. As this version isn't compatible anymore then you may need to switch phones or restore to the previous version. You can find our phone compatibility list by following this link: https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/get-to-know-your-audi/communication-services.html"

Last compatible firmware version for my phone is 6.0.1, tested 31st March 2016!
By the way, I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 with Android v7.0 running on it. Still don't see how this can impact something that was working fine up until a few weeks ago, or how it can be related to what menu options appear on the MMI?

Last edited: