Telephone? Bluetooth? Confused..

Brennan

Former Audi Driver
Reaction score
Right so I've sat in my car for the past hour, fiddling about (steady on.. Ha) trying to get to grips with the MMI.

I've seen telephone and Bluetooth settings but I cannot get my iphone to pair with the car :(

ydygagap.jpg

Can someone tell me exactly what system I have?

What software version do you have on your iPhone Arron?

Silly question, but is your phone set to discoverability - on? If Bluetooth is on you still have to set your phone to be visable. I dont have an iPhone so not sure what the settings are like, but the Audi side is pretty simple, it just scans and discovers visable devices and pairs after confirmation with the remote member of the pair.

Maybe there are some other settings on the iPhone for security that stop the remote side initiating a pair? I dunno.

Thats a fair point "opelfruit" never actually thought about the discover-ability!lol :thumbsup:

Any metal contacts inside your armrest? If so you just need a (expensive!) cradle for your phone.

Any metal contacts inside your armrest? If so you just need a (expensive!) cradle for your phone.

No you don't! I have cradle in armrest and bluetooth so easy to pair phone.

So this is whats showing on my phone

10A547FA-5ACF-4E05-A24A-6C278428D296_zpsb3vuuip2.png

Just keeps searching, cant find the car :(

i have these metal contacts under my arm rest

12F3AC46-607D-4117-B57B-2C4F51CBE647_zpsufzgvw5o.jpg

Really hitting a brick wall with this one, tried all the buttons, i cant get the car to show on the screen that its bluetooth is turned on and discoverable.

Mobile telephone preparation – Low.
In front centre armrest. Uses Bluetooth interface or
cradle to connect to your A4, including roof aerial for optimal reception. Includes centre
armrest for Standard trim models. A phone cradle is required for charging your phone, at
extra cost. Please contact your Audi Centre for details of phone compatibility (cannot be
combined with Chorus radio)

https://www.audi.co.uk/content/dam/audi/production/PDF/UsedCars/Refresh/A4/A4 - July 09.pdf

Bluetooth interface (ie wireless)

Mobile telephone preparation – Bluetooth interface.
Provides handsfree connection
via Bluetooth using mobile phone aerial. Please contact your Audi Centre for
phone compatibility (only available in combination with multi-function steering wheel,
Concert radio, Symphony radio or technology package)

I think! :s

Try turning the Bluetooth off on your phone. Or the reset (menu and lock button both pressed until apple sign comes on the screen) turn Bluetooth on, turn on the car then after about 20 seconds go to Bluetooth menu on phone. If it doesn't show something is wrong. Go to apple or Audi. Or try another phone?

Have you turned on the car discoverability??? i.e. Press Telephone button, then press Setup button. Bluetooth should be the bottom right option. Turn on Bluetooth and also turn on Discoverability?

(There's also some options that can be changed in the engineering menu: main>diagnosis>settings>Tel settings misc which I believe can be changed. You might need to Google it as I can't remember what option needs selecting)

(There's also some options that can be changed in the engineering menu: main>diagnosis>settings>Tel settings misc which I believe can be changed. You might need to Google it as I can't remember what option needs selecting)

Non MMI units don't have a Hidden Menu like 3G.

So i press TEL then SETUP and go into Telephone Settings, the only two options i have are to change the bluetooth pin or reset to factory settings

Brendan, I have everything like yours with armrest cradle, fin etc and my Bluetooth works ok.
There must be something going wrong somewhere.

Reactions: BigGreg
Mine is found every time too. Mine the concert radio.

Brennan, it's not the most obvious to connect. I was them same until it all just worked, still not sure what I did. Good luck.

What radio is yours mate?

Ah sorry mate, mines the concert but mmi buttons are on gear stick area, on radio it's only got DVD/cd drive slot and flap with 2 memory card inputs.
But theoretically the same everywhere else.

Ah sorry mate, mines the concert but mmi buttons are on gear stick area, on radio it's only got DVD/cd drive slot and flap with 2 memory card inputs.
But theoretically the same everywhere else.

If you have the controls by the gearstick you do not have Concert. Looking at your previous posts you have MMI 3G High.

If you have the controls by the gearstick you do not have Concert. Looking at your previous posts you have MMI 3G High.

Ah yes, sorry. I could of sworn it said concert though? Just had a quick look and it says audi multimedia...doh!

Sorry brennan, ignore all my posts ;)

Pics
92AFE03D-E55A-4BAE-8DB6-F4D021D36F66_zpsz60e0wfx.jpg

Random thought, try restarting your iPhone, I know I've got a rnse but this has happened with my iPhone a couple of times, just couldn't see any Audi device

Sorry my last reply was total pants as that was for my latest MMI 3G. :(

When I paired my iphone to my old Concert III (December 2008) I had similar experience to BigGreg. I kept deleting the saved Bluetooth settings and trying again and again and it suddenly worked. I think I had the Wifi on the iphone off.

This is becoming increasingly annoying by the second, Not only do i not have AUX but i cant get this bluetooth working. Had both of these in my last car, which worked faultlessly.

This is becoming increasingly annoying by the second, Not only do i not have AUX but i cant get this bluetooth working. Had both of these in my last car, which worked faultlessly.

Is there no socket in glove box on left hand side? Ami

Not that I can see. My car is one of the very first B8s built. Build date Apr 08 I think

Brennan what software is the car running on and what iOS are you on? Could be this.

So i press TEL then SETUP and go into Telephone Settings, the only two options i have are to change the bluetooth pin or reset to factory settings

Hi Brennan, have you tried the reset to factory settings in the SETUP menu? It's worth a try. I have no idea but maybe there are stored profiles that need deleted before another can be added.

There are two phone prep option levels and both allow Bluetooth hands free profile. The cradle is not part of the bluetooth conectivity at all - it's for connecting the GSM antenna of the phone to the GSM antenna on the car so the phone signal is not blocked by the metal skin of the car. You'd still need the bluetooth connection to the head unit for the cradle to be of any use whatsoever. It also provides power to charge a compatible phone. Ignore it. Have you used the iPhone with other Bluetooth headsets to prove the Bluetooth on the iPhone?

I have MMI Nav and the Bluetooth module is built into the head unit. I'm not sure where the Bluetooth module is in the infotainment/radio but maybe the Bluetooth antenna has somehow become disconnected. Earlier cars had a separate Bluetooth module under one of the front seats, the head unit had the controller part that communicates with the module. The Bluetooth module itself had a small rigid pcb type Bluetooth antenna on a Fakra plug that plugged directly into the module. Being rigid these could break if the module was loose and got shunted. Very cheap to replace.

Hopefully someone with the same head unit will swing by with more info.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, i'll try a system reset to see if that works.

One thing i was impressed with was the sound quality of the speakers. I think its standard speakers but the clarity and bass is amazing

Brennan what software is the car running on and what iOS are you on? Could be this.

Its a 2 week old 5S so running the very latest iOS, ive had a few problems with the touch screen being unresponsive and the phone being generally laggy but i assume the bluetooth would be working properly on a new phone. i have no idea what software the car is running, how do i check this?

Also is there any way to delete these radio stations? The only one I listen to out of this list is Radio 1 ***...

qe5y3uha.jpg

Also is there any way to delete these radio stations? The only one I listen to out of this list is Radio 1 ***...

qe5y3uha.jpg

Hi Aaron,

Unfortunately you can't delete the radio stations that I know off. But if you leave it on Radio 1 it will always stay there no matter what! :)

.. Any more luck with the Bluetooth connection? .. I wonder if there are any faults logged maybe with the module? :uhm:

If you don't have aux then you have AMI.

You have telephone prep low (with cradle). The Bluetooth should still work. Why not read your manual as there is a specific pairing procedure. For example you must pair the device with ignition (but not engine) on.

Last edited:
If you don't have aux then you have AMI.

You have telephone prep high (with cradle). The Bluetooth should still work. Why not read your manual as there is a specific pairing procedure. For example you must pair the device with ignition (but not engine) on.

Phone prep low has the cradle too - well it does on my car - HFP bluetooth only.

Phone prep low has the cradle too - well it does on my car - HFP bluetooth only.

Your right mrose. That was a typo I meant to type low! One of those moments when you type the opposite to what your thinking.