Teflon coating

Karadjas

Reaction score
This is apparently all the rage in Cyprus lately for both exterior and interior, is it any good or should I stick to wax when my new car arrives?

How does it work with alcantara? Should I just leave it alone and brush it once in a while?

The car will be parked outside 24/7, on pressed gravel while at work if that helps.
I'm mostly interested in keeping the paint in one piece and preventing fade.

If you keep on top of your paint, with washing, polising and protecting (sealents and wax) I see no reason why a car of that age would fade.

Paint "fades" due to lack of atention, swirl marks from poor wash methods (dulling the surface) and oxidisation from being open to the elements.

I have not heard of Teflon coating, and from a very short sprint on the internet, it appears to be a joke.

What are your sources?

Pretty much everyone in Cyprus who has bought a car in the last 2-3 years has had it 'teflon coated'.

I want to spend as little time as possible on paintwork, probably just a handwash every weekend at a well-spoken-of shop near here. I'm not after the absolute wet look as it will be impossible to maintain with where the S3 will be parked, I just want to protect the paint from the elements. This is staying with me for a good 7-10 years so I don't want it to look like a neglected Datsun by then.

Will waxing every 6 months (autumn and spring) provide enough protection for the scorching summer sun in Cyprus?

No to the last question, unfortunately.

The other problem; if you take it to the wash place down the road, they WILL scratch it. That's just the way it is. This will cause marring that will dull your paint work;

184p11.jpg

Couldn't agree more actually. Even the prestige establishments in and around Mayfair that claim to be the best are guilty of paintwork savagery! Problem is, its all done conveyor belt fash, and that of course ends in tears for your paint........The ONLY way to do it is either by yourself using the correct methods, or leave it to the true pros like JD/WX etc etc....

I guess I have some intensive reading up to do then!

So the best I can do in terms of paint protection is a good sealant and regular waxing?