Technology Pack - High With Connect

N

Nimbus265

Hi all,

About 6 weeks out from delivery and I thought I'd start researching which SIM Card to get for the S3; It is spec'd with Technology Pack with Mobile Phone Prep High - with Connect.

Now the brochure says 'An external data source is required to enable the Audi connect online services*. A separate SIM card which can be inserted in the included SIM card reader. When a separate SIM card is used, hands-free phone calls are possible using the SIM card or by connecting a different mobile telephone via Bluetooth Hands-Free Profile'

So, and this may seem like a bone question, If I insert a standard sim, I can make calls from the car (without connecting my mobile phone to the car)?

When I went into Vodaphone and Three earlier today, I had a choice of 2 types of SIM Only package: one for Mobile devices (data only such as you would use on an Ipad) - or one for phone and data. The chap at 3 said you can't put a phone SIM into a Mobile Broadband device and vice versa.

Anyone have an answer please? Which SIM to I get?

There is no way that I can see of using the sim card for calls. You must use a Bluetooth connected phone.

Thanks DescendDescend - that's part of the clarification I was after. It would be good to get some clarification from somebody who has used this in anger.

I tried it earlier today. There is no option that I can find that allows you to select the internal sim for calls. If you turn off your phone then you just can't call.

Thanks again......Well, that goes against the MY15 brochure which states ' separate SIM card which can be inserted in the included SIM card reader. When a separate SIM card is used, hands-free phone calls are possible using the SIM card or by connecting a different mobile telephone via Bluetooth Hands-Free Profile'..... How odd?

You can use the internal SIM for calls in mine.

...but not so early that you couldn't also use rSAP if you wanted. I'm right in the sweet spot!

Reactions: veeeight
So I'm not going to be looking forward to have a phone number just for the car then? Seems a retrograde step?

Does it? I struggle to understand why people would want to have a separate number for their car! This is how manufacturers did things before bluetooth enabled you to connect to your own phone. How would anyone know which number to call you on?