1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Techniclutch SMF kit for an S3

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by 16Klappe, Jul 13, 2014.

1. 16Klappe

16Klappe Princess Clap.

[Jul 13, 2014]
    Just in case you are wondering, don't buy one.

They've sent me an A3 friction plate, an A3 pressure plate, the flywheel has no dowels, the flywheel bolts foul the flywheel, but the flywheel IS for an S3.

The drilling on the pressure plate (which is too small) is off so it wouldn't fit ANYWAY even if it was for an A3.

My car has now been on the ramp for three days, my dad's put off 100's of pounds worth of work and cannot put the car back on the ground because it has no subframe in it. And his customers are going elsewhere because he has had to ring two days worth of customers and tell them he can't do their car.

Anywho, eBay case has been opened and I will be on the phone first thing Monday. So let's see if they can turn this around.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. leegsi

leegsi Active Member

[Jul 13, 2014]
  4. 16Klappe

16Klappe Princess Clap.

[Jul 13, 2014]
    I know I'm not the only one, but I would have hoped a simple order would be easy enough.
  5. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jul 13, 2014]
    Stick the subframe and drive shafts on and shove it out to free ramp till correct parts arrive.
  6. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

[Jul 13, 2014]
    It's already outside. He's just being overly dramatic :laugh:
    VAG-Slag, voorhees, StaceyS3 and 4 others like this.
  7. Broken Byzan

[Jul 13, 2014]
    That's out of character. .... lol
    Prawn likes this.
  8. 16Klappe

16Klappe Princess Clap.

[Jul 13, 2014]
    Oh yeah, how could I forget...

Thanks to PT for his outstanding technical support! And confirming my fears that it was all wrong.
    <tuffty/> likes this.
  9. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 13, 2014]
    Welcome mate... :thumbsup:

Just in case techniclutch get funny about it give this piece of advice from me...

[​IMG]

<tuffty/>
  10. Prawn

[Jul 13, 2014]
    If PT magically confirmed this, why did I waste my time going through it with you this morning!?!

Fanx. Git
    voorhees and Broken Byzan like this.
  11. 16Klappe

16Klappe Princess Clap.

[Jul 13, 2014]
    Welllll I had some questions regarding the clutch cover which PT would have most certainly been the best man for.

So tomorrow I will be straight on the phone to Techniclutch to see what they are going to do about it.

If it isn't going to be sorted quickly then I will just buy a standard pressure plate and friction plate from euro and have a standard clutch, and probably keep their solid flywheel if it all works together.

Just so annoyed about the whole thing really, dad has worked so hard on it and it's all been let down by their service.

As I say, hopefully they will sort it out. Because I have clearly been sent two halves of two different kits...
  12. kwistof

kwistof South East Events Moderator Regional Rep

[Jul 14, 2014]
    Cheers for the heads up on FB about this dude,

Just for keeping this thread in line I also have been sent the wrong parts out. All I required was a replacement clutch kit to match my SMF and it turns out my friction plate is 228mm instead of the correct 240mm size.

I will be on the phone this morning to find out what they can do.

You/your dad can actually claim back labour costs it has set him back as part of your claim so I would be going down that route if I was you mate. Good luck with getting it all sorted- I feel we may need it as I haven't had the best service from them from the start in all this fiasco.

Got to say I'm still not very happy with the fact Awesome GTI was using this company as I tried staying clear of them when I was initially looking for the full conversion kits some 18months ago.
  13. 16Klappe

16Klappe Princess Clap.

[Jul 14, 2014]
    2 minutes until their phones open...

Fingers crossed!

Upon further inspection, the flywheel I have also isn't right, as it is a pot type flywheel where the clutch sits in it rather than against a flat face.

So a mess up all round really. Fingers crossed they sort it all out and we can all be friends :)
  14. 16Klappe

16Klappe Princess Clap.

[Jul 14, 2014]
    Took a whole twenty minutes and a conversation with a very unhelpful receptionist who told me that they couldn't help me and I had ordered the wrong part and that because it was raised as an eBay case she couldn't even talk to me about it, then I finally got through to somebody who was actually quite helpful, tried to tell me that I had ordered the wrong part, and that their upgrade clutch was actually smaller than stock...

So I wangled a full refund out of them + my postage.

I am going to order an upgraded clutch and friction plate and reuse my DMF. As I should have done in the first place...
  15. Adam P

Adam P Active Member

[Jul 14, 2014]
  16. kwistof

[Jul 14, 2014]
    Damn....

So therefore my kit I have is possibly correct if their upgraded parts are smaller than stock? :confused:

At least try and get your dads labor cost back through a claims maybe?
  17. 16Klappe

16Klappe Princess Clap.

[Jul 14, 2014]
    Thanks, I had read some very encouraging reviews on it.

I'm entertaining a paddle clutch from Bill, just waiting till lunch time to call him.
  18. 16Klappe

16Klappe Princess Clap.

[Jul 14, 2014]
    Can't be arsed, not worth kicking a gift horse in the mouth when it comes to a Techniclutch refund!

I've fitted the flywheel, stretched the bolts and unpackaged everything. I'm not really in a position to be dragging this process out, I need the money to get the car back on the road.
  19. Prawn

[Jul 14, 2014]
    my paddle plate was 240mm, suggesting that they made their uprated clutch smaller seems like madness to me, especially when they're re-using a stock sized pressure plate.

Knobs.
    16Klappe likes this.
  20. Broken Byzan

[Jul 14, 2014]
    The paddle from bill with oe pressure plate feels great and holds well. You won't regret it
  21. 16Klappe

16Klappe Princess Clap.

[Jul 14, 2014]
    "Our kit does use a smaller but higher quality clutch, with a specially machined flywheel"

"That may well be, but it is advertised as being a replacement part to uprated OE specifications. It doesn't matter if it is made out of gold, a smaller 228mm unventilated clutch with a pot flywheel designed for a 240mm clutch which will only work with a 228mm pressure plate which won't fit with alignment dowels will never be as good as a standard 240mm S3 clutch. So with that in mind I would like my money back please."

"I'm not arguing with you."

"Good."

That's literally how the conversation went; however Peter who I spoke to was actually pretty helpful. I understand it is difficult dealing with complaints, as I get it as part of my job. And to be fair he did everything he should, I can't really kick off about my dealings with him so far because he did question me, tried to get out of it, said he saw the message yesterday and was keen to call me this morning when he got to work but I beat him to it.

So whilst they might be knobs for getting it wrong, everybody warned me, and they were right, but I'm getting my money back and worse things have happened at sea.
  22. antwan64og

antwan64og Member

[Jul 14, 2014]
    They do that much business they get loads wrong but they are cheap!

I'll still use them again though, lol.
  23. kwistof

[Jul 14, 2014]
    Right....

So it sounds like I won't get any replacement if I was to phone up then if they use a 228mm uprated clutch which is smaller than OEM.

Seems bizare :confused:

I take it I can still get it sitted to the car then?

Be interesting to see how their 4 year/40k mileage warranty stacks up
  24. 16Klappe

16Klappe Princess Clap.

[Jul 14, 2014]
    It will work with a standard flywheel, but the pressure plate having less surface area and not lining up will mean you will have to run it without dowels and not centralised.

All less than ideal.

Until you press the friction plate against the flywheel you won't know how much over lap there is.

Either way, I'd be sending it back and getting the right 240mm clutch.
  25. kwistof

[Jul 14, 2014]
    So I've spoken to Peter at Techniclutch at he advised that the SMF for the S3 in their conversion kit is 228mm.
    They don't even offer the 240mm one according to him and his manager - oh and the clutch plate bolts are non stretch 'apparently'.

They are sending out my clutch bolts though that they forgot....so I suppose this is the same kit as I had last time if they only sell the 228mm for the S3 SMF kit :confused:
  26. vroomtshh

vroomtshh Active Member VCDS Map User

[Jul 14, 2014]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a 'genuine' LUK kit from techniclutch that's two days old.
    I've since spoke to LUK and they have never sold anything to techniclutch. I'm just gonna assume that there 'Sachs' stuff is the same
  27. jasongtr

jasongtr Active Member

[Jul 14, 2014]
    trading standards i reckon
  28. JimS3

JimS3 Active Member

[Jul 14, 2014]
    Sh*t! Did wonder how they can supply clutches for considerably less than trade prices while paying 12% to ebay too...

Maybe a strongly worded letter to LUK about the damage to their reputation is in order.
  29. vroomtshh

vroomtshh Active Member VCDS Map User

[Jul 14, 2014]
    LUK are currently taking legal action against them
  30. 16Klappe

16Klappe Princess Clap.

[Jul 19, 2014]
    12 days later and Techni are still trying to wangle out of a refund.

eBay case states they will refund the day the item is received, they acknowledged receipt of the clutch on Thursday morning, after I told them it had been signed for and who by. Apparently their returns department haven't booked it in yet.

After a rather lively phone call to them yesterday I don't hold out much chance of getting my money back any time soon.

Truly horrific customer service.
  31. JimS3

JimS3 Active Member

[Jul 19, 2014]
    Have you put the tracking number into eBay and escalated it to a dispute? Should then get a refund within 48h.
    16Klappe likes this.
  32. 16Klappe

16Klappe Princess Clap.

[Jul 19, 2014]
    Yep done all of that.

Monkeys.
  33. StaceyS3

StaceyS3 Well-Known Member

[Jul 19, 2014]
    Didn't you get the paddle from southbend in the end?
  34. StaceyS3

[Jul 19, 2014]
    Bloody hell have read the whole thread now and is an abismall service that they're providing

Had read lots of bad reviews on the net so steered well clear, recieving the wrong kit is one thing but a mix match of various bits is a joke

Hope you get it sorted ASAP :)
    16Klappe likes this.
  35. Prawn

[Jul 19, 2014]

5 speed paddle was southbend yea.

Current 6 speed clutch is the 'full' £500 smf / 6 paddle from techniclutch.

I'm not convinced the pressure plate is uprated as they claim, as the pedal is ultra light, but we know that a paddle plate under a stock pressure plate works fine, so that'd probably why it's working ok for me at present.
  36. basil brush

basil brush Active Member

[Jul 19, 2014]
    Screen shot the proof of signature and paste it as a photo into the dispute console ;)
  37. StaceyS3

[Jul 19, 2014]
    Ahh yeah completely forgot you got that one when was 02J :banghead:
  38. craigt1985

craigt1985 New Member

[Jul 19, 2014]
    Was chatting to a bloke at work who mentioned he'd had trouble with wrong clutch bits, lo and behold from Techniclutch. He was saying they've been through several name changes already due to having to shut down and start up again as a result of dodgy dealings. Not sure how true that is, but makes you worry that they'll shut down due to current issues and legal wranglings with LUK; only to then open up at a new address and business name in the near future.
  39. kwistof

[Jul 19, 2014]
    100% correct that they trade and have traded under other names.
    Nationwide clutch distributors is another name and also with 'U.K.' Added at the end for another company all based at the same place in Blackpool.
    I guess the '4 year warranty' I've got with my kit is worth nothing if you're having trouble with your refund Jardo, hope you get it sorted .....at least you went in there knowing of the issues dude. I sort of got blind folded and led to them by a company who I thought were better than that and should have done their research more thoroughly :confused: 'Awesome' it was not
  40. Sam_

Sam_ Down under

[Jul 20, 2014]
    Do it properly, get a Clutchmasters and deal with Mike Hood aka Ringer Racing. Or of course the Sachs plate from Bill or CCC Motorsport DE - Startseite with OEM DMF and cover.
  41. driftymcgee

driftymcgee Member

[Jul 20, 2014]
    Haha, Sam remember me telling you my clutch change was a bit of a nightmare...

You guys think it was hard to sort it all out and you are local, I dealt with these fools from Syd AU, complete tossers. My car was off the road for 3 weeks dealing with their utter bull****.

Anyone who says they have had the right parts and good service just aren't aware they are running parts that were never meant for their car.

For example I was sent a kit for my S3 BAM that was actually for the 1.9TDI and Techniclutch thought it was all good as the 240mm was the same all round.

Calling these twats from Sydney trying to get a straight answer was just beyond a joke. Lucky I could use the leverage of PayPal and get a refund for all but the concentric slave (which was the correct part).

So if anyone needs an A3 1.9 TDI clutch kit in Sydney I can help you out.

But seriously I cannot fathom how sellers like Techniclutch can still operate on eBay with no repercussions.
    Sam_ likes this.