Technical S3 help - Boost and Temps?

god_thats_quick

Numptie of the highest order
Reaction score
Website
www.theregister.co.uk
Hi All,

In preperation for getting my car back with the steering working again (fingers crossed) I want to check everything is ok when I get it back. There are two bits of information that I want to check:

Peek boost in bar for a standard APY 210 BHP engine (I think my gauge may be out a little it's connected to the FPR seem to be getting about 0.7ish peek in all gears)?

Normal coolant temps on the climate display after car is warm (mine sits between 94-96 once hot on number 49 on the climate display)?

If anyone can check these I'd be most grateful, I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy vagcom so I can check everything else myself too.

Cheers, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Ben.

i'm sure it's 0.9bar on a 210.

Sounds like a shot coolant temp sensor to me...CC and dash should be pretty close...

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a shot coolant temp sensor to me...CC and dash should be pretty close...

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing is rich and this is why it'd be great it some others could actually have a look at their cars AmD replaced the common temp sensor last year 1000miles after the engine rebuild and it sits perfectly on 90 on the dash, and stays pretty constant between 94-96 on the climate.

[ QUOTE ]
According to this you should be looking at number 51

http://www.wak-tt.com/tt/climatecontcodes.htm

49 Malfunction counter for speedometer (vehicle speed) signal
51 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) in deg C

However it may only aply to TTs and not S3s

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeh I'd seen that however if you look on the other page where wak is actually using them... http://www.wak-tt.com/climate/climatecodes.htm he refers to "49C = Coolant temp (Accurate)" which I've found to be correct on my car.

So PLEASE if you have an APY S3 or even a newer S3 can you check for me to see what the normal temps are if you have chance?

Cheers,

Ben.

I have an AGU 1.8T, prefacelift model perhaps I may help somehow.
Just took the car for a quick spin to have a look at the readings.

Outside temp 2 C
Car was driven for 20 miles and then parked for about 4 hours before the test drive

_time__|N49|N51|Dash
00mins | 33| 40 | below 60
02mins | 40| 55 | below 60
05mins | 50| 65 | below 60
10mins | 60| 70 | 65
15mins | 68| 80 | 70
20mins | 72| 90 | 72
25mins | 75| 90 | 75
30mins | 80| 90 | 80
40mins | 90| 90 | 90

and then idling for another
10mins |88-95|90|90|

Ben, mind you I have an oil cooler installed which means it takes longer for the car to reach a proper temp. In addition if I took the car on the open road with such external temp (2c) then it would only need 1 minute or maybe less to drop the temp in the dash to less than 80c

anyway it seems that No49 is far more accurate than No51

I was always suspicious of that insensitive dash temp sensor
Car manufacturers probably tune the dash temp gauge in a way that is not too alerting for an average driver /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shutup.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing is rich and this is why it'd be great it some others could actually have a look at their cars AmD replaced the common temp sensor last year 1000miles after the engine rebuild and it sits perfectly on 90 on the dash, and stays pretty constant between 94-96 on the climate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh..sorry! Mis-read your post...thought you said it sits at 49 on CC...not block 49. oops!

Rich

Well got my car back last night and the boost actually seems higher than I remember it got upto 0.8bar in 6th gear, however I'd still really like to know what coolant temps off the climate control other S3 owners are getting as mine seems to be fine but does get very hot in traffic etc.