Tech Pack and MP3 Formats

mjcourtney

Reaction score
Hi all,
Does anyone know what music formats the A3 accepts? I've ordered Tech Pack with B&O, a lot of my music is ripped in iTunes using Apple Lossless. The brochure states support for MP3, WMA, AAC. I know that Apple Lossless doesn't play in Windows Media Player without installing an additional Codec, just wondering if the Audi will support it?

Otherwise my next few evenings will be spent doing some conversions!

That's great, much more information that in the brochure :thumbsup:

I think I will convert a few albums and leave some unchanged and see how it copes.

Does anyone know if you can put MPEG-4 videos on to the SD card to play through the screen? It mentions an MPEG-4 capable DVD drive, but nothing about playing MPEG-4 video using SD cards.

Cheers :)

I'm pretty sure I tried that and it did work, but I can double-check it again if you need me to?

That's a very kind offer, don't go out of your way to do so, but I would be interested to confirm it. I have ripped some dvds to m4v format and wondering if they will play.

Had a quick bash with a few demo files I downloaded and it doesn't seem to be very clear-cut, with some playing and some not. It seems the file extension isn't always a cast-iron indicator of what video format lies within as some files with an MP4 extension played whilst others didn't. Not sure if this is down to the codecs used or maybe even the resolution (i.e. too high won't play). Will do a bit more playing with various files and see what I can figure out, as much for my own curiosity as anything else.

If you have some specific files you're curious about then either let me know what exact video/audio codecs/formats/resolutions they're using and I'll try to find similar ones to test, or you could even send them to me to try if you like, size permitting :)

What did you use to rip the DVDs out of interest? I think I tried using Handbrake a while back and it worked but I'm not sure what format I converted them to. Could always try converting a disc myself.

Excellent, yes I am using Handbrake too. I have ripped a few using the 'Regular -> Normal preset', which gives the following:

Format: MP4
Video Codec: H.264 (x264)
Framerate: Same as source, Variable Framerate

One of the Video Codec options is MPEG-4 (FFmpeg) which i'm wondering may be compatible as it states it is MPEG-4 compatible in the brochure.

I have some smaller test files I could send you, I can PM you later on.

Many thanks for the help on this, much appreciated!

I'll try ripping a DVD using those settings later tonight and see what happens :)

Just to update with this info for everyone's benefit - following some experimentation I've discovered the Handbrake settings required to correctly convert DVDs into a format that the A3 will play, on Tech Pack equipped cars at least, can't speak to cars without this option.

Fire up Handbrake and select the Regular -> Normal profile in the Presets list on the right. Now select your source via the drop-down at the top-left. Note that, if the DVD source is copy protected (most commercial ones are) then you'll need to decrypt it to your hard drive first or else use something like AnyDVD to strip the copy protection on the fly.

Handbrake should scan the disc and automatically select the main feature, but you can alter this via the Title drop-down.

Now, ensure the Container is set to MP4 File. In the tabs below, leave the Picture and Video Filters tabs at their default settings. In the Video tab, set the Video Codec to MPEG-4 (FFmpeg) and change setting below it to Constant Framerate. Change the Quality setting to Avg Bitrate and set this to 1500kbps. I couldn't get decent quality output using the Constant Quality setting. You may be able to squeeze the file size by reducing the bit rate but quality will start to suffer if you push it too far. I also enabled 2-Pass Encoding but you may want to skip this if you're in a hurry.

The Audio tab should default to AAC Dolby Pro Logic II mixdown and this is fine as it is. Don't try to embed DTS or AC3 in the file as it won't be supported and you'll get no audio. Leave the Samplerate and Bitrate at 48 and 160 respectively.

Finally, you may want to remove any settings from the Subtitles and Chapters tabs.

That's it - go. Encoding is pretty quick, running at about three minutes per hour of video per pass on my machine, a 4Ghz i7. The resulting file should have an MP4 extension and will play fine in the A3 from an SD card.

Hope this helps some people out :)

Get MediaMonkey as it will convert the lossless to anything else (MP3, etc) when it transfers it to an iPod or SD card.

I may be about to ask a daft question but has anyone had any problems with the AAC file type playing on their A3 as I currently have an A1 and this file type won't work on the A1's MMI I then had to change all my music to mp3 and then transfer to the sd card and this was a time consuming pain as all my music is on iTunes. So just want to clarify there have been no issues as I'm about to buy a new card and start move my music to it for the arrival of my new A3

Vertigo, you legend!

Have you tried those settings on other source files i.e Bluray? I'm struggling, to get anything other than DVD source material to play, regardless of settings applied in Handbrake.

Having picked up my car yesterday I plugged in my SD card with some pre-ripped movies using Vertigo1's settings and it worked first time :D

I've not tried ripping blurays, but I don't have a bluray drive in my PC so i'm not sure i'll be attempting this for a while.

Can I just clarify .

All my music is on iTunes on my Mac and is copied as lossless . I am not interested in down converting to a lower format .

My 8 GB iPod works fine but can I just buy a SD card and copy over onto that or is there more to it . I am considering just buying a bigger IPod

Thoughts or comments please

Can I just clarify .

All my music is on iTunes on my Mac and is copied as lossless . I am not interested in down converting to a lower format .

My 8 GB iPod works fine but can I just buy a SD card and copy over onto that or is there more to it . I am considering just buying a bigger IPod

Thoughts or comments please

Vertigo1 posted info on formats that can be played via SD Card and from memory there was no lossless formats playable. If I can find the thread I'll post a link.

I've copied various formats onto an SDXC card so once I pick up my new car on Saturday I'm curious what will \ won't play as like yourself would prefer to use a lossless format where possible. Fairly certain Vertigo1 quoted from the owners manual.

Pjd,

let me know how you get on once you have your new wheels - hope you are not snowed in !!

Vertigo, you legend!

Have you tried those settings on other source files i.e Bluray? I'm struggling, to get anything other than DVD source material to play, regardless of settings applied in Handbrake.

No, haven't tried anything else. Could try getting a Bluray to convert I suppose :)

Pjd,

let me know how you get on once you have your new wheels - hope you are not snowed in !!

Nightmare finding an Internet connection where I'm staying but found a wifi point at last :)

Weird thing is the SDXC card wouldn't work on NTFS format so redone it on exformat if that's what it's called and I found that wav files played ok. Apple lossless wouldn't play so might be worth trying other lossless formats.

Once I get my pics off the camera will post a few.

Car is truly awesome, so quiet and refined really am loving every mile covered so far. My father was really impressed by new A3 SB interior says its a class above his own Q5 interior for soft touch materials and MMI. interesting hearing his thoughts coz he really was blown away by the new interior.

Just a quick update to this thread. A colleague who has an A3 without the Tech Pack has confirmed that it is unable to play movies / video from SD card. He used the same video file that played in mine. So if you want to play video, you'll need that tech pack.:3sadwalk: