Tech help wanted! - Car has all of a Sudden started mis-firing!!!

wolfy1988

Reaction score
Hi all

2001 A3 1.6

After my girlfriend dropped me off at work I noticed the car was mis-firing and generally running like a bag of nails!

Its struggling to pull away cleanly, once your cruising its fine but you start to accelerate again its starts fussing.

HT leads? Coil pack?

Please help as I am very worried.

J

Yep, classic signs of coil packs. Try get your car scanned to see which cylinders are misfiring to narrow it down.

Oh thats a relief, how much are they do you know?

Just out of interest what difference does it make as to which cylinder is mis firing, surely the whole pack is replaced?

Thank you for such a quick reply

Ah you have the single unit coil rather than the individual units, dont get to many of those!! I think there about 80 bob or so

Yeah i contacted Audi of Dublin a few weeks ago about this recall and they said my car is not covered?

Update:

It was really running very badly today started it up after a gave it a damn good clean and it sounded like ****!

I had a good poke around the engine bay and found nothing other than it needs some a couple of wishbone bush`s.

Now before I go ordering a new coil pack any ideas??

Any ideas how much VagComs are and where the best place is to get one?

It might be worth me picking one up seeing as Audi want €90 for the pleasure!

J

I bought my Vag-Com lead for about £10 off eBay and used the old version of the software. Works fine for basic scanning and some adaptation.