1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tdi140 engine stutter

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by smithysmith, Oct 5, 2008.

1. smithysmith

smithysmith New Member

[Oct 5, 2008]
    Car is a 55plate sline avant with 24000miles, the problem usually occurs at motorway cruising speed when the engine is fully warmed up, it is a very subtle stuttering type vibration, initially i thought it was wheel balancing but this has been checked twice and is spot on, it feels more like its the engine itself, usually feels a bit worse going up hill (more engine load).

Any ideas:uhm:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 27, 2014]

3. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Oct 5, 2008]
    I am not speaking from any experience, but could it be an engine mount?
  4. smithysmith

smithysmith New Member

[Oct 5, 2008]
    i initially thought that too, it does seem probable, but it only does it when the engine is up to temp
  5. Mr_Sixx

Mr_Sixx Stationary

[Oct 7, 2008]
    Do you get the stutter around 2000rpm and usually (as you say when warm) in 2nd and 3rd gears?
    Mine did this especially when accelerating more gently but only as it passed the 2k rev mark, it went away when it had a service at 41,000 miles, I thought it was the fuel filter as this was cleaned at the same time.
    Have you tried cleaning/replacing?

Just a thought...
  6. smithysmith

smithysmith New Member

[Oct 10, 2008]
    It is around 2000 rpm, but doesnt seem to manifest itself in lower gears, a friend suggested clogged egr, but it may be speed related after all, not rpm, which leads me down the wheel balancing route again, but as im sure they are good whats next, perhaps suspension bushes, wheel bearings? are there any common front end issues with this model.
  7. Mr_Sixx

Mr_Sixx Stationary

[Oct 11, 2008]
    Its not wheel balancing, you'd feel that through the steering - mine is only when warm not fully cold!
  8. smithysmith

smithysmith New Member

[Oct 11, 2008]
    Maybe its egr system then, i was suspected that this caused the idle shaking on my previous b7, my friend reckons its common, i may just remove the whole system, cooler and all. Wish i had never sold my BMW really :(