1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TDi Shudder when idling

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by evilscotsman, Aug 31, 2010.

1. evilscotsman

evilscotsman Space Cowboy

[Aug 31, 2010]
    Gaaaaah! If its not one thing, its something else. It's now started shuddering from left to right when I stop at idle, when hot. Anyone throw any light on this?

I do have a diesel leak from the base of one of the injector pipes but at the pump end, bottom one nearest the block I think, looks a bitch to reach for tightening. I dont think this is the cause, more like an electronic engine mount but dont think a 96 motor will have them will it?

If you switch off for a minute, then restart, the shudder is gone, and only appears at idle anyway, even 1k rpm its as smooth as butter, but at 800 idle its rough sometimes.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 25, 2014]

3. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

[Aug 31, 2010]
    DMF on its way out mate...
  4. evilscotsman

[Sep 1, 2010]
    its a 96 motor mate, did they have dmf's that early?
  5. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

[Sep 1, 2010]
    If its a 90Bhp it had single mass, if its 110 then more likely DMF. I would check the smooth running on the cylinders with VCDS/vag-com in measuring blocks nr 13. If they all close toghether then it does not point to a injector missfire. You could also check the cylinders pressures with a Diesel pressure tester...
  6. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Sep 1, 2010]
    I'd be fixing the leaking high pressure line before condemning the flywheel...
  7. evilscotsman

[Sep 1, 2010]
    yep sounds more likely mate, looks a bitch to get to, any procedure to know before cracking the unions off? ie there shouldnt be any residual pressure in a Di system should there, unlike a common rail?