TDi Shudder when idling

ScottyP45

Reaction score
Gaaaaah! If its not one thing, its something else. It's now started shuddering from left to right when I stop at idle, when hot. Anyone throw any light on this?

I do have a diesel leak from the base of one of the injector pipes but at the pump end, bottom one nearest the block I think, looks a bitch to reach for tightening. I dont think this is the cause, more like an electronic engine mount but dont think a 96 motor will have them will it?

If you switch off for a minute, then restart, the shudder is gone, and only appears at idle anyway, even 1k rpm its as smooth as butter, but at 800 idle its rough sometimes.

its a 96 motor mate, did they have dmf's that early?

If its a 90Bhp it had single mass, if its 110 then more likely DMF. I would check the smooth running on the cylinders with VCDS/vag-com in measuring blocks nr 13. If they all close toghether then it does not point to a injector missfire. You could also check the cylinders pressures with a Diesel pressure tester...

yep sounds more likely mate, looks a bitch to get to, any procedure to know before cracking the unions off? ie there shouldnt be any residual pressure in a Di system should there, unlike a common rail?