1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TDI fuel?

Djwoody Oct 11, 2012

1. Djwoody

Djwoody Member

I know that Shell have a V-Power diesel and BP have Ultimate diesel.
    Does Tesco sell a diesel version of Momentum?

Has anyone used any of these?

I tried the Ultimate last week and the car seems quieter and a bit smoother.

2. The Governor

The Governor Active Member

I did a V-Power experiment for three months recently.

Zero increase in performance, MPG and certainly no reduction in noise.

andrecc likes this.
  3. max69vk

max69vk Active Member

I've found that my car runs smoother although not quieter on Shell V-Power diesel, but the BP Ulitmate is a lot better all round. Just a shame its so hard to find rouund my way.

4. SAiLO

SAiLO Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

I seem to get more miles to a tank on V-Power Diesel (around 40-50).

5. @udi A3

@udi A3 Site Sponsor Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

I put vpower in my 130pd now and again. I find an increase in 50 miles per tank, plus its noticably more responsive. I find shells regular desel to be hit n miss , i fill up at least once a week, and whilst getting a consistant 500ish miles to the tank, sometimes the car feels sluggish.

6. Ironborn

Ironborn English...not so good

When I put v-power, only thing I notice is that my car doesn't smoke as much. Nothing else changes.

7. M222ATY

M222ATY New Member

Always run mine on V Power. Its a few pence a litre more but on the grand scheme of fuel prices its hardly worth moaning at I suppose. I did a run to Cornwall and back from Leicester and averages 59mpg. Wasnt exactly hanging around either. I dont think they would be aloud to sell it if it was no different at all

8. The Governor

The Governor Active Member

I shuld have said, when I did my experiement I did proper calculations of MPG based on brim to brim measures, as opposed to looking at the DIS. Apparently I get 53.2 to the gallon, according to the car. In actual fact I get 42.5 to the gallon when you calculate it, so it's very wide of the mark.

Interestingly, when I had my BMW, it's calculation matched my proper calculation almost exactly.

So, anyway, I still say V-Power has no effect on MPG :)

9. garuf

garuf Member

I heard that if you just put redex in standard fuel it has a similar effect and works out a bit cheaper than filling up with v-power ect. Is this just bull?

10. Jack_tdi

Jack_tdi Member

I use v power diesel all the time and I found that mpg increases enough to justify the £2.50 extra it costs to fill (£0.05 x 50 litres)
    And it has cleaning additives in so all round winner if you ask me
    Haven't used ultimate diesel though be interesting to try

11. Jack_tdi

Jack_tdi Member

I've heard that without knowing how much redex is I couldn't comment

12. chinnyhill10

chinnyhill10 Member

IMO the most important factor is the fact that BP Ultimate and V Power seem to create less smoke which can only be good for the DPF life and turbo. But nobody ever considers this.