1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TDI excellence

mcconnot Feb 1, 2010

1. mcconnot

mcconnot Member

Hi Guys,
    Just drove home from work. Realised leaving work that i had hardly and fuel left in the tank. With no fuel stations on the way, i had to make it home the whole 36 mile trip (when i turned the car on the DIS showed 30 miles), so i was feathering the accelerator. But fair play to the 2.0 TDI engine. I managed to get it all the way to 68 mpg!! Most of the way it was hovering around 60 mpg doing about 60 mph!!!

Question is:
    When the DIS gets to 0 miles of fuel left in the car, how many more miles can it go? Is the DIS literally measuring what is truely left or is there a fail-safe amount of fuel left for idiots like me who forget to fill up?

I know the fuel meter usually has a few miles left after it hits the red, but what about the DIS?

Cheers.:arco:

2. Igdos

Igdos Member

There is still a bit in there once it hits 0 miles on the DIS - I think I remember risking about 10 miles with it on 0 and there have been threads where people have managed to top this.

The only thing that I've noticed is that the countdown from 20-15-10-5-0 seems to happen very quickly compared to when it's up in the hundreds.

3. V6Pete

V6Pete Now running on Bentley's y'all

I find these threads about amazing diesel mileage tedious. We all know they don't like to drink.

How's about a thread discussing WORST MPG? I averaged 8 mpg in a Dodge Viper.

4. mcconnot

mcconnot Member

Not everyone has the luxury of doing 8mpg!

5. N8

N8 Kowalski Details VCDS Map User

To be honest, the mpg in mine isn't great I usually average around 420miles per tank, the best ever being 500 miles when I went to Scotland - OH WELL

6. pdv40

pdv40 Member

I've seen 1mpg out of a W12 A8

7. smudge_don

smudge_don Active Member

In my old 140 i once got 800miles to tank driving to Leeds and back, was really impressed with that! Average speed of about 65mph

But my new 170 drinks fuel compared to that :( get about 400-450 if im lucky

8. mcconnot

mcconnot Member

When i got home last night, with 0 miles on the DIS, i put €50 euro's worth of fuel in (42 litres, not sure of the gallon conversion, but not a full tank). The clock went straight up to 820 miles with the hot engine!:icon_thumright:

9. V6Pete

V6Pete Now running on Bentley's y'all

Good work. I'm looking for averages over a day though, not just a motorway foot-to-floor moment.

10. smudge_don

smudge_don Active Member

You have a fuel pump at home? Awesome!!!!

11. mcconnot

mcconnot Member

Home = the general area of my neighbourhood! Now that would be handy!

12. smudge_don

smudge_don Active Member

And i bet you wouldn't charge yourself over 1 euro a litre :laugh:

Pisses me off how much tax is on fuel

13. mcconnot

mcconnot Member

Tell me about it! With the last budget hike here on fuel tax, for every €50 i am getting about 7 litres less!!!

14. smudge_don

smudge_don Active Member

I pay nearly £1.20/litre for BP Ultimate Diesel :(

15. smbAudi

smbAudi Member

any guys remember Clarkson driving the A8 the length of the country and back??

think he got about 40-50 miles when the DIS hit 0 miles!! that was in a 4.2 V8 TDI!! of course it was relatively easy engine driving...even so best not to do this on a regular basis due to damage to the fuel filter from scraping the muck off the bottom of the tank... ;)

16. mcconnot

mcconnot Member

Is it normal that lately (consistently) i have been doing my 36 mile trip at 70mph and doing 68-69mpg?
    I know the 2.0TDI doesnt like to drink, but thats a very high mpg average isnt it?

17. Ash187

Ash187 Audi-Retrofits.co.uk Site Sponsor VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro Audi A5

I have got up to 700 miles out a full tank on my 2.0 TDI 140, was well impressed with that!
    i usually get an average of 50mpg with a mix of motorways and city driving, but when its pure motorway i can get up to 70mpg! i think thats bloody fantastic from a 5yr old car :)

18. mcconnot

mcconnot Member

Yeah mine is 6 years old! Now if i can just sort that misfire out ill be laughing!:icon_thumright:

19. JD09

JD09 I'm not modding, I'm improving VCDS Map User

4, from an old style S8 over a day trip to Alton Towers.