TDi 130 fuel consumption

ocalld

Reaction score
Hi
i have a TDI 130 A4 Avant 02.
When i bought it 18 months ago, driving it hard got me approx 650 miles per tank, now if i drive it easy i get approx 600 per tank.
It's been in a garage and looked at, couldn't find any problems, i've had the MAF changed, no differnce.

Last week i bought on ebay one of those booster chips that fits onto the fuel temperature sender and fools the ecu into thinking the fuel is cooler than it really is - WOW what a difference, i can now get 53mpg+ at 90mph. Without this device, even on a long run at 70mph i was lucky to break an average of 50mpg .

I didn't think this device would make that much difference.
Could my fuel temp sender be faulty?
Anyone know how to check it???

Thanks
Dan

hi james
i take it you get that mileage without modification, which leave me to belive that one of the sensors is iffy on my Tdi.

Can anyone advise how to check the fuel temperature sensor or should i be checking other sensors???

cheers
dan

ocalld said:
Hi
i have a TDI 130 A4 Avant 02.
When i bought it 18 months ago, driving it hard got me approx 650 miles per tank, now if i drive it easy i get approx 600 per tank.
It's been in a garage and looked at, couldn't find any problems, i've had the MAF changed, no differnce.

Last week i bought on ebay one of those booster chips that fits onto the fuel temperature sender and fools the ecu into thinking the fuel is cooler than it really is - WOW what a difference, i can now get 53mpg+ at 90mph. Without this device, even on a long run at 70mph i was lucky to break an average of 50mpg .

I didn't think this device would make that much difference.
Could my fuel temp sender be faulty?
Anyone know how to check it???

Thanks
Dan

I take it the 53+mpg @ 90 mph is from your DIS, I had a tuning box on my Passat TDI, although the computer showed a much increased mpg the atual mpg was worse than previously (prob as I drove it more rapidly) , have you worked out the real world figures?

The tuning box concept as far as I am aware works by over fueling so mpg is going to be slightly worse.

ocalld said:
hi james
i take it you get that mileage without modification, which leave me to belive that one of the sensors is iffy on my Tdi.
Ive had a remap,cat-back 2.5" milltek and a FMIC,not too sure on the power but it had 175 before the exhaust and FMIC.Dont know if the bigger,heavier wheels and brakes will make much of a difference to the economy???