1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tdi 110 tuning

egesford Sep 5, 2011

1. egesford

egesford Member

anyone got any experience with the tuning boxes available for these engines? i know the cheap ones are basically just a resistor, how do they affect the performance/economy/reliability?

2. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

My dad had a HOPA plug in module on his 110bhp Passat from 1998 up until last year, covered 130k with no problems. He was still getting 60 mpg on a run. It was fitted by 'old' AmD but I don't think you can get them anymore.

3. TDIQ

TDIQ 8L > 8P > 8V

Personally I'd only get a remap instead of a tuning box.

Search for "evry mod" on Google, it's basically a DIY resistor tune, which adds more fuel and can yield more power.

4. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

The HOPA module wasn't just a resistor - it was a programmable box that cost about £400 12 years ago to have fitted - AmD had it for a couple of hours and it was RR'd before and after.

From memory it was done as a plug in module rather than a chip reflash because chipping at that stage was still relatively basic. I had my old Ibiza done in 1997, again by AmD, and they had to physically replace the original chip with one of their own. I still have the original chip in a box somewhere. SuperChips of that era were the same. Chipping by flashing the factory ECU was something that came along later. The advantage of the plug in box over a new chip was that it removed the risk associated with soldering or tinkering with an ECU.

I know that JoJo has had a plug in module on his Passat for many years with no problems.

Edit - it looks like HOPA are still going strong - HOPA Tuning - Power your Engine! - Aktuell

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011