1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tdi 110 tuning

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by egesford, Sep 5, 2011.

1. egesford

egesford Member

anyone got any experience with the tuning boxes available for these engines? i know the cheap ones are basically just a resistor, how do they affect the performance/economy/reliability?
  2. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

My dad had a HOPA plug in module on his 110bhp Passat from 1998 up until last year, covered 130k with no problems. He was still getting 60 mpg on a run. It was fitted by 'old' AmD but I don't think you can get them anymore.
  3. TDIQ

TDIQ 8L > 8P > 8V

Personally I'd only get a remap instead of a tuning box.

Search for "evry mod" on Google, it's basically a DIY resistor tune, which adds more fuel and can yield more power.
  4. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

The HOPA module wasn't just a resistor - it was a programmable box that cost about £400 12 years ago to have fitted - AmD had it for a couple of hours and it was RR'd before and after.

From memory it was done as a plug in module rather than a chip reflash because chipping at that stage was still relatively basic. I had my old Ibiza done in 1997, again by AmD, and they had to physically replace the original chip with one of their own. I still have the original chip in a box somewhere. SuperChips of that era were the same. Chipping by flashing the factory ECU was something that came along later. The advantage of the plug in box over a new chip was that it removed the risk associated with soldering or tinkering with an ECU.

I know that JoJo has had a plug in module on his Passat for many years with no problems.

Edit - it looks like HOPA are still going strong - HOPA Tuning - Power your Engine! - Aktuell
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011