TD05 v VF34

scoobyra

It's not f@cking ORANGE!!!!!
Reaction score
I'm getting really ****** confused with al this turbo nonsense and could really do someone pointing me in the right direction.

Jabba are telling me they use a VF34.20 on their conversions which should be the turbo fitted to the black car that I've just killed. According to Jabba, they run at 1.6bar and are very (cough) reliable! only caused to fail by running aftermarket dv's.

Cue TD05.....ok, so I have a TD05 16g which I'm going to convert (well I'm not, Andy Forrest is) to front entry and is exactly the same size as the VF34. Ideally, I'd like to run this as an 18g but I don't know if this will fit as the housing is larger.

Jabba have said they couldn't get the TD05 to work as well as the VF34 unless it ran loads of boost (as if 1.6bar is low!) but I have conflicting reports from other people saying the TD05 will still spool quickly and make the same power as the VF34.20 even in 16g form.

I've spoken to Bill (Badger5) and got his input so can anyone else add some reliable info to this as we (I mean Bill) are only going to do this ONCE as funds aren't bottomless and don't know whether I'm keeping the black car which puts the rods on hold for now.

I have heared someone fitting, a TD05 20g to an a3 8l with custom mani. no actual proof at hand.

I know Karl but this isn't on an Impreza. I really need to know how much bigger a TD05 18g is or a big 16g compared to the VF34.20 I've currently got as if I can go bigger than a standard 16g I will :)

i meant with impreza turbos lol.
space is a massive issue on our carsa which is a shame.
can you not find any dimensions on the net of both turbos?

Been looking but it's a mine field. Andy says the 16g is exactly the same size as the VF34.20 which is good news but I'll go bigger if I can. He did say that it was possible to get an 18g wheel in a 16g housing but it would cost a fortune!

where the vf34 is described as .20, they have used the larger hotside off the vf22.. P20 housing, where VF34 comes in P18 as std
not a lot in it tho... both are small housings which overheat quickly!

hot side meaning hot side, which is turbine side's housing to exhaust downpipe yes
cold side is compressor side.. - inlet
chra the middle bit where oil/coolant pipes and bearings/seals live

and as for people saying vf34's can happily live at 1.6bar boost levels reliably, thats laughable, and said by someone who sells them to you... ;)

quicky searchy on vag forums reveals the truth about vf34's when pushed too hard
bearings fail
hotside housings warp

its an ihi thing
keep egts sensible, keep boost to sensible 1.2bar levels and they will work fine... ~300-320bhp/280lbft units

want more, turn em up and prepare for replacing them, over and over again - thats reality

Last edited:
I was talking to a lad from wakefield with the Jabba IHI set up on his S3 , He said things Are ok around 320 bhp but it wouldnt push much more. So i kind of decided the money he has spent was a bit steep with the same kind of power i have,
Also he said the gearbox isnt removable with the turbo/ manifold in situ...?

I was talking to a lad from wakefield with the Jabba IHI set up on his S3 , He said things Are ok around 320 bhp but it wouldnt push much more. So i kind of decided the money he has spent was a bit steep with the same kind of power i have,
Also he said the gearbox isnt removable with the turbo/ manifold in situ...?

I totally agree with what he's said re power
turbo underslung is a pita... remove transfer box tho.. if you can get at it.. and it should come off?