1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tb cleaning advice

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by James TQ, Aug 30, 2012.

1. James TQ

James TQ Member

I'm going to clean my throttle body soon but I don't have vag com to re align the flap...

Isthere another way of doing this without the software? Also will I need a new gasket?

Thanks
  2. Paradox1

Paradox1 Active Member

You may not need a new gasket but your pretty much f-ed if your current one breaks....

Use some carb cleaner to clean th throttle body.last time I had my cleaned I just disconnected the negative side of the battery for about half hour and it has been fine since.either that sorted it or I put it back in exactly the same place lol
  3. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

I bought a new gasket just for the sake of it as the one on there will more then definitely be the original one. You may not need to re-align your TB after the clean.

Also from my experience, the TB will just get dirty again if you still have the original PCV oil system fed back into the TIP so keep an eye on it and see how quickly it gets dirty again.
  4. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

Once you move the butterfly flap it will need realigning or maybe battery off for 20 mins or so may do it...
  5. Squirrelofdoom

Squirrelofdoom Member

Did mine recently, used this technique:

open driver door, turn key on, wait about 30sec (with hood open or keen ear, you hear high-pitch throttle motor aligning), close door and start engine