Taxis

mikeyboy

S-line
Reaction score
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that when your in a taxi the engines always seem so quiet and smooth. Everytime I'm in a taxi (except for black cabs) I always find it so quiet, smooth and relaxing. I was in a Toyota avensis diesel yesterday and it was as quiet as a mouse and as smooth as silk. I've been in a lot of taxis in my time as I'm sure most of you have and they always seem so quiet and smooth. Whether it be an old vectra with 150k on the clock or a shabby looking mazda 6 they always drive so smoothly. Sorry for the random thread by the way lol

i am normally too drunk after a night out to notice the engine noise, lol

Reactions: DommyR and DieselJake
I know what you mean, although not sure whether it's placebo because I always think mine sounds louder; or maybe its because they get left on for long periods of time, so the oil gets up to normal operating temperatures etc.

It's because you're not driving and aren't getting any vibrations (noise) through the gearstick, pedals, steering wheel etc.

Complete opposite here, I usually get cabs with knocking wishbones, anti-roll bars - engines dont usually sound too healthy - granted they have usually done a few hundred thousand.
Was in a hackney cab last year, the rear diff was screaming its nads off!

I can never hear the engine in my local taxi because the driver never stops talking *****.

Reactions: spencetate and CHEZ
I got in one Taxi (few year old Passat) and the dashboard was lit up like a Christmas tree :undwech:ABS, ESP, handbrake light, seat belt light (he wasn't wearing it)

its probably because all you buggers have 90,000,000,000 BHP with 17 turbos uprated sports rockets S/RS 3,4,5,6,7's etc with barking loud exhausts and Concrete suspension .. the tight taxi drivers probably all DE- tune theirs to a minimum so they get 500 miles off fiver then charge us £45 for the pleasure ;) my BOG standard A6 2.0TDI is smooth as silk too LOL

Last taxi i was in was an Avensis and every time he changed gear there was quite a loud dump valve sound from the turbo! I enjoyed it anyway even if he had no idea what i was talking about haha

Last taxi I was in was a mondeo and yeah the engine was quiet,the driver was very proud of it telling me its fully loaded with all the options,I enquired about the satnav and he went a bit sheepish saying it never had one doh !
I try and avoid black cabs as they are overpriced nails,they make them in my hometown but I think China bought the company and are building them now.

Last taxi i was in was an Avensis and every time he changed gear there was quite a loud dump valve sound from the turbo! I enjoyed it anyway even if he had no idea what i was talking about haha

Decat surely, if I had a taxi I'd mod it for economy too and not care about the noise.