1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tapping into switched power in roof console

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by larsmate, Jun 23, 2014.

1. larsmate

larsmate Member

I've installed a dash cam behind the rear view mirror and now I'm after switched power from the dome light. There's around seven wires to choose from and my volt meter can't touch the the wires inside the connector due to the small openings to the pins. Anyone have a wiring diagram or know what colour wire is the switched positive? Here's a pic of the connector circled in yellow:

Capture.JPG

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. JohnE

JohnE 2005 A3 Sport 1.6 FSI

I've looked at this for my dashcam - pretty sure it can't be done. The module is fed live at all times - it needs power available when ign is off if you think about it. Control for the lighting uses canbus (orange/green and orange/brown) to determine if the engine is running and so on.

4. a6_chris

a6_chris Well-Known Member

Run it properly down into the fusebox.

5. larsmate

larsmate Member

Makes sense yes but thought the sun roof was on switched but then remembered I could operate it with the key fob. That is till my battery went flat and now can't operate the roof remotely any longer but that's a separate problem!

6. JohnE

JohnE 2005 A3 Sport 1.6 FSI

7. larsmate

larsmate Member

That looks like it would work but shipped to Australia is unfortunately too expensive.

Any tricks to running a wire down the pillar? Can it be fed without removing head lining?