Talk to me........about DSG/S-tronic

IanS3

Interweb creep
Reaction score
I have a new S3 on order with S-tronic, but cant decide if I have made the right decision.

So, people with S-tronic, can you point out the good and the bad points and help me decide if I need to change my order.

Im going to go stage 2 or 2+ so the S-tronic would remove the need to upgrade the clutch, but the fact that Revo currently dont offer a remap for the s-tronic on MY10/11 cars puts me off slightly.

Cheers in advance

maybe they'll have it when you get your car.

Lee Tay put up a post saying they do a dsg map for 2010 S3s now, it'll lift the torque to 368ft-lb and Stage 2 + won't be running that!

Lee Tay put up a post saying they do a dsg map for 2010 S3s now, it'll lift the torque to 368ft-lb and Stage 2 + won't be running that!

Cheers N8, is it on here?

Link?

Pro's - no clutch in traffic, smooth gear change, quicker gear change than manual

Con's - can sometimes have "moods", i.e. the revs are held out longer for some reason, mine is sometimes a little slow going from D to R so you let off the brake the car rolls for a bit before it engages

Overall, i love it

I had a defect in my 2007 DSG box but the new one is smooth and lovely :)

Would never go back to a manual

Pros, Traffic, Faster, fun, more miles to gallon, even using it as engine breaking it is no effort, it makes you smile when you drop to 4th, overtake and by time you are half way past the car 2 flips and back in 6th moving at quite a rate of knots faster thsan the car you just gone past. in fact it makes you smile just using it :) I am sure you will not be disappointed

Cons, for an S3 mine is new, but it changes up so quick to 6th, the car is sluggish in general driving even keeping up with traffic, I think as the engine loosens up it will improve slightly, it is no effort to change a couple of gears if need, but that said it is quite nice lazy driving in traffic in general, so the sluggishness has it's plus point

N8, just pm'd Revo Carl on VAGOC, still no map from them for the MY10/11 cars

Unless someone else knows more, if you want to remap the engine keep away from S Tronic. I loved the box but could not map the engine as the box just held it back. Also the standard car is a pain in traffic always in too high a gear. Cane them and they are great but in traffic you will struggle to keep up with tdi's as you wil always be in a high gear off bosst! S3 wouldnt see which way my remapped 335d went.....

I am pro automatics and waited for the Stronic to be released but was dissappointed as it could only do 2 things, really slow or really fast with nothing in between. I sold it at 6 months old....

Unless someone else knows more, if you want to remap the engine keep away from S Tronic. I loved the box but could not map the engine as the box just held it back. Also the standard car is a pain in traffic always in too high a gear. Cane them and they are great but in traffic you will struggle to keep up with tdi's as you wil always be in a high gear off bosst! S3 wouldnt see which way my remapped 335d went.....

I am pro automatics and waited for the Stronic to be released but was dissappointed as it could only do 2 things, really slow or really fast with nothing in between. I sold it at 6 months old....

Thanks Nick.

Thats why I want to be sure that Revo can remap the DSG before I finalise the order. By all accounts the remapped DSG is the Edition 30 Golf with the remapped engine is fantastic.

Most of my driving (500 miles per week) is fast roads so im not too woried about being in traffic.

I have also driven a 335d Msport with the auto box. but I did not really like the box. Are they pretty similar, If they are maybe the manual is the better option for me.

The only problem with DSG is once you haver it you will not want to be without it so future car choice is limited.....Dsg in sport mode is just great fun :)) and its not like auto....no clutch slip etc.. Paddle change it if you find it in the wrong gear. I suppose that's the point really. because its DSG you can use it as a manual anyway if you wish.

as for ordering a car without even trying the box....well that seems plain daft if you dont mind me saying. there are loads of second hand DSG S3's about GET A TEST DRIVE before its to late to change your mind.:faint:

Hi all

See email from REVO, I have not followed up to see if it was the gearbox software:

Hi Lee;

Yes we do have software for this vehicle, all the info you need can be found here> http://www.revotechnik.com/products/softwareProduct.aspx?pvID=980

I hope this is of some help!

Best Regards
Carl Saunders
Support
Revo Developments Limited

This e-mail is confidential and may contain legally privileged information; it is intended for the use of the addressee only. If you are not the addressee you must not read, use, distribute copy or rely on this e-mail. If you have received this communication in error please notify us immediately by e-mail or by telephone (+44 (0) 1327 301901).

The content of this e-mail does not constitute a commitment by Revo Developments Limited or any of its subsidiaries, unless separately endorsed by an authorised representative of Revo Developments Limited.

Revo Developments Limited believes that this e-mail and any attachments are free of viruses. However, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure it is virus free and Revo Developments Limited does not accept any responsibility for any loss or damage that may arise from the use of this e-mail or its contents.
Sent: 28 March 2010 12:43
To: EuroSales
Subject: Audi S3 DSG

Hello

Do you have software available for the Audi S3 DSG version (2010 Model)

Regards

Lee

I think you get used to the traffic issues and sometimes mine is slow to change up depends how hard you hit the gas I reckon! But for its little annoyances, when I have to drive a manual car its just annoying and like steping back in time compared to my DSG!

The only problem with DSG is once you haver it you will not want to be without it so future car choice is limited.....Dsg in sport mode is just great fun :)) and its not like auto....no clutch slip etc.. Paddle change it if you find it in the wrong gear. I suppose that's the point really. because its DSG you can use it as a manual anyway if you wish.

as for ordering a car without even trying the box....well that seems plain daft if you dont mind me saying. there are loads of second hand DSG S3's about GET A TEST DRIVE before its to late to change your mind.:faint:

I agree completely. As far as I'm concerned the only 'problem' with the DSG is that I will never want to drive another car without one. I tend to drive mine in 'manual' mode almost all the time. I decide which gear I want to be in and use the stick or paddles accordingly but I don't have to keep pushing an old fashioned clutch pedal. I'm on holiday at the moment in Germany and today I went into the centre of a reasonably large town called Koblenz. In this case I just moved the lever into Auto in the town and all I had to do was to watch the traffic and signs rather than having to change gear as well. As soon as I was out of the town again it's back to manual mode.

Im a risk taker :laugh:

No, you are right, I am gonna test one, just to make certain.

Revo DO NOT at present have a map for the DSG, only for the engine. They are working on it. Does anyone who has DSG also have the Revo DSG map, if so how do you find it compares to standard?

The dsg is fantastic when driving hard but anything other than real commeitment and it leaves you lacking with poor gear selection etc. My mums new Golf GTi doesnt seem to suffer the same problem strangely.......

DSG and auto are totally different and it is probably the torque in the 335d that makes it so great to drive whereas the S3 can be caught out with the gear selection. If you drive hard all of the time then it is fine.