Taking one for the team: Revo Stage 1 Case Study on S3 8P3 (MY2012)

What plugs do you have in there atm Warren?

Factory, but as to which??? I'll get engine cover off next week and have a nose.

How's the car going Brett, is it behaving?

Been reviewing old photos of the intake / air box today, I'm sure it is a major contributor to these issues. It's design is awful. Will be doing a post on it later with illustrations. Hope you're well mate, happy Xmas.

Car is running fine, but engine light still on all the time now, I personally think I should go back to the NGK recommended plugs and take out the cooler ones.
I will no doubt look at it after xmas, but no hurry.

Next yr when you have finished modding, wanna meet up and have a look, see the differences from stock.

Have fun mate over xmas

Car is running fine, but engine light still on all the time now, I personally think I should go back to the NGK recommended plugs and take out the cooler ones.I will no doubt look at it after xmas, but no hurry.Next yr when you have finished modding, wanna meet up and have a look, see the differences from stock.Have fun mate over xmas
I would certainly stick with the stock plugs.....if you can run a Stg4 car on them,they ought to work fine on the others.

I would certainly stick with the stock plugs.....if you can run a Stg4 car on them,they ought to work fine on the others.

It is what Revo recommended due to all the plug issues, after last set lasted a few hundred miles, getting through 2 sets of Bosch. I agree the Standard NGK ones seem the way to go

yes mate, spoke with bluefin. also had a look at all the other tuners to see if they offered remaps on the other VAG models as its the same engine - not available for the golf, Skoda, Seats or A3.

they have no plans in the near future apparently.

Curses!

Might be on the cards, have you spoken to any of the tuners about it?

500 miles done and she hasn't missed a beat.

Mix of motorway / around town and varying degrees of loud pedal and not so much as a hiccup.

I think once it gets to about 2000 miles it will be a telling benchmark.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325107958068745

On a side note, pleased after 7 weeks and 2,300 miles that the Jetseal 109 is still doing a great job.

awesome write up warren, was a pleasure to read!

keep it coming

Did you get the SPS switch with the chrimbo deal they had on? I got one and the guy (forget his name drive the matte grey golf (v nice)) said if you switch it to stock not even audi would know if you had mapped it so if you do that when you want to get it serviced etc etc then you wont invalidate your warranty

I had it from a previous car, and yes you can return it to stock settings, BUT it doesn't remove Revo code from ECU, it puts the ECU back to factory settings (e.g. Slow!).

If dealer sent ECU to factory they could see amendments to code, but chances of that are very unlikely, and if you had inclining this may need to happen you could always get Revo agent to reflash stock code ahead of trip to dealer if you had major issues although there may be associated costs for this.

Sounds good so far then Warren....what happens if theres a factory update which is flashed on to the ecu when the car is serviced...would you have to get the remap done again or would the original Revo software still work correctly ??

Also, any reduction in lag as it is currently with the stage 1 ?

Last edited:
Dealer will usually ask you before doing an update, but if they do it does overwrite the code. If you say no to dealer reflash it can void warranty from memory.

No real reduction in lag from my experience, the lag is affected by the size of the turbo and the effects will only kick in beyond a certain RPM with just remap. Slight changes with hardware but very marginal.

So will Revo provide a new/updated map if you send them any dealer updated code f-o-c or would you have to pay again ?

Happy to contact Revo myself, but I wondered if Kev had mentioned anything about this when you had the map done ?

Thanks

So will Revo provide a new/updated map if you send them any dealer updated code f-o-c or would you have to pay again ?

Happy to contact Revo myself, but I wondered if Kev had mentioned anything about this when you had the map done ?

Thanks

I'm not 100% sure on this, I'd suggest post a query in the Revo section of the forum for Carl / Kev to answer. There may be a cost for the reload from the garage doing the work, but certain can't see you'd need to pay twice.

Revo don't usually charge for a reflash and neither do the majority of their extended network in my past experience. Revo are back in after the New year.

Everytime I read the latest post on here it makes me want to get mine up to stage 1 all the more, in the meantime I'm playing the max mpg game just for a bit of interest :)

3,000 mile report

Car getting slightly quicker as the run in period ends and the car frees up.

I've jacked boost up from 6 to 7 in the last 500 miles, timing 5, fuelling 9. Cold air always makes the car feel sprightly!

Only issues are a slightly notchy 2nd gear, and a bit of a jolt when clutch is depressed on slow start/stop.

I have bought some new NGK Plugs and set them to 0.7mm gap (rather than OEM 0.8mm) so that if I get any plug issues I've got some spare in the drawer.

Any issues I'll let you know!

Last edited:
My Revo map was updated from REV 9 to 10 FOC, but lets face it REv 9 was causing issues with the car and it was Revo issues.

I might add it was over a year after I had the car mapped.

Thanks for the update Warren.....sounding good.

My only reservation if the hesitation problems don't rear their ugly head, is whether the OE clutch will take a stage 1 remap or if you are definately going to have to get it replaced in the near future, as that makes the effective price of the remap considerably more !!

I'll keep watching :)

Warren you are a true team member :applaus:

I'm still on 6 boost Warren, any noticeable difference going to 7. Its frighting how fast the mileage clocks up :) I'm just hitting 7k now. My nice new car is an old car now :)

I'm still on 6 boost Warren, any noticeable difference going to 7. Its frighting how fast the mileage clocks up :) I'm just hitting 7k now. My nice new car is an old car now :)

Little bit more urgent, but not hugely noticeable.

I'm astonished how strangled the car feels without DP / CAI. It's crying out for them and another 30+BHP.

3,000 mile report

Car getting slightly quicker as the run in period ends and the car frees up.

Only issues are a slightly notchy 2nd gear, and a bit of a jolt when clutch is depressed on slow start/stop.

At only 3000 miles!!!!!!!!

Warren, what are your thoughts re 30+bhp extra witha CAI ?

Warren, what are your thoughts re 30+bhp extra witha CAI ?

Not sure it's 30bhp, but its the way it drives.

Since the days of 139bhp Golf Mk2's were a distance memory and mods of 10bhp seemed to make a noticeable difference, up near 300 you just can't detect an a$$ dyno difference of 30bhp in 300. I judge it more by the way it drives.

The ITG opens out the higher end of the rev range fantastically, but isn't perfect around town it sounds a bit gaspy and I'm not sure how much better it works over stock until you show some commitment to the loud pedal. Once you do there isn't anything to touch it. I'm not sure I'd get one if you want to retain OEM sounds / feel (maybe Forge is better in this instance), but I wouldn't bother with Carbonia as most of the gains are seen from increasing the size of the filter media.

ITG IS making a quite version of their famous S3 CAI. Dont know when this to be released though
I'd have been interested to compare the Forge CAI I was using,with the ITG I have now,but using the same turbo,as the ITG on the GT3071 is actually a lot quieter than the previous setup was,but of course the previous K04 was being run to the ragged edge of it's flow,which will make a lot of screeching and whistling through the gears.

At only 3000 miles!!!!!!!!

The manual gearbox isn't the most fluid. Think the linkage needs a tweak. 3rd gear was the troublesome one in my old S3, 2nd seems a bit hit and miss if I gun it in this.

I've always found the clutch engage / disengage a bit lumpy in the S3, so I should have added to the comments above; business as usual rather than the fact it was exceptional activity!

DSG next time after having the good fortune to try one last week!

DSG next time after having the good fortune to try one last week!

how many times have I heard that :). I think a lot of people still think of DSG as being like the old 4 speed auto of the 70s and 80s

Reactions: Paullie, Pauljamescaton, J.R. and 1 other person
dsg is the way forward as you have the relaxed cruiser. the great no clutch in town traffic and the fact you can swap cogs when u feel the need faster by using the paddles or by tapping the stick than you ever could by hand......

oh and then there is the fact that the clutches are not made from chocolate

and

Launch control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yes! Even my non-speed loving misses had to laugh at the launch control when we tried it! ;)
DSG is awesome in my view.

After owning my DSG car for over a year now I've only just noticed it has paddles behind the steering wheel!

Ok, I haven't just noticed them, but at the weekend I drove around the whole time using them.... and I'd forgotten how much fun they are. :yes:

After owning my DSG car for over a year now I've only just noticed it has paddles behind the steering wheel!

Ok, I haven't just noticed them, but at the weekend I drove around the whole time using them.... and I'd forgotten how much fun they are. :yes:

Things like that make me wish i had DSG, sometimes i pretend my cruise stalk is a flappy paddle shifter, Ill make the downshift noises as i hit it forward.

When you change gear there is a little throttle blip and you get a great resonance from the exhaust. Plus to be fair it changes gear better than I do which isn't hard!

If the manual was as good as it should be I'd enjoy it, but I think the gearbox / clutch is way to stressed for what we put it through as we stir the cogs, and in modified cars the butler serving up a swift cog with a blip of throttle takes off the stresses and strains of furious thrusts!

My heart is saying you soft ***** lazy nonce, stir the cogs. My head is saying a new clutch every year at a grand, kiss me a$$!

I'm not doing my fuel economy any good by making sure the gear changes happen above 4k rpm to get the pop! Love it!

What did you think specifically of the DSG then Warren? Likes? Dislikes? I'm guessing more likes if you'll be going DSG next time?

DSG all the way for me. Picked up my DSG S3 8P3 just over a week ago and I absolutely love it. I was dubious at first but after testing 4 manual 8P3's, as soon as I test drove the DSG I was in love.

No turning back now, it is simply awesome!