Take a look at these tyres!!!

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Attached are pictures of the new Michelin tyres. These tires are
airless and are scheduled to be out on the market very soon. The bad news for law enforcement is that stingers will not work on these tyres..................

This is what great R&D will do and just think of the impact on existing
technology:

a.. no more air valves
b.. no more air compressors at gas stations
c.. no more repair kits

ATT00004.jpg
ATT00007.jpg
ATT00010.jpg
ATT00013.jpg

This was in Autocar quite a while ago, i think the main problem was that the tyre was attached to the alloy, making a very expensive combination. Also no real scope for low profile tyres either, and i think the idea may have been scrapped.

And at the end of the day, it does look rather silly.

Not to mention people cutting halfway through the webs just to see what happens when they break at speed....

Perfectly ridiculous idea if you ask me. But then, I don't think you did, so who cares?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleep.gif

I am sure they could fill the sides with pretty soft rubber.

I wonder if they will ever take off??!! Only time will tell.

If they were lower profile then they would not look so weird.

A classic case of engineering led by function, rather than aesthetics. Maybe in 40 years, people our age now will look back at "walled" tyres & think "how quaint".

Yeh, didn't they call these 'treels' or something similar. They look....well, awful and I think they are / were having problems with the idea.

Reminds me of those tyres a while back that had layer of glue all the way round which sealed up on contact with air so puncture proof. They never took off either.
Can't see why they can't just fill tyres with silicon or similar, I guess it's to do with the way they react to temp changes, rock hard in winter and jellylike on a hot day

[ QUOTE ]
Yeh, didn't they call these 'treels' or something similar. They look....well, awful and I think they are / were having problems with the idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, was something like that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

the idea is cool, and with a bit more development, i'm sure they can improve the looks of them.

What i can't figure out, is how theyre gonna make the centres big enough to accomodate big brake setups... it just aint gonna work.

the open version is one way to add cooling to your brakes!

They were scrapped about a year ago due to being too noisy. Expect to see them on wheel chairs and the like though.

great idea, I wonder if they will be able to make them for motor bikes as well? - I think they would save lives as bikers can fall off when a tyre blows out

also nice to see they tested them on a decent car