Tailgate sensor gone for the third ******* time!

Vertigo1

Reaction score
Well for the third time inside a year, the tailgate sensor is screwed and is intermittently reading as open, tripping the alarm. I'm now totally unable to lock the car until I get it seen to.

Twice before the dealer has assured me this has been fixed yet it's happened again. Even once I get this fixed, I now can't trust it not to happen a fourth time. What happens if this occurs when I'm away from home? Leaving the car on my drive unlocked is one thing but outside a hotel or in a town?

I'm unspeakably angry with the dealer right now and will be raging at them first thing on Monday.

Have they checked the rear wash feed pipes to see if this is loose, thus water causing the faults.

i think i know how this keeps happening to your car m8, the small rubber washer which surrounds the tailgate rear wash/wiper arm, fails on these cars quite often, ive had two sensors replaced by audi, it was a m8 of mine who worked for autoglass who told me about these crappy rubber seals etc, ive not had any probs since seal was changed over, hth

cal

I'm almost sure it's water ingress although I think it's rain rather than the wash/wipe as I hardly ever use the latter and this problem always reappears after relatively heavy rainfall. Last time they said they'd insulated all the wires with loads of sealant so it couldn't happen again - going to throw that one back in their faces on Monday.

What also angers me is that there is literally no way of locking the A3 without activating the alarm, so I have no choice but to leave it unlocked. What kind of moron designed it this way?

Last edited: