tailgate lock help

lee red

Reaction score
ok peeps ,last nite when i get home from work and turned my side lites off my tailgate is opening/unlocking itself ,checked a few times this morn.still the same and when i open unlock the car with the fob the tailgate stays locked it will open on center button on the fob but i very rarey use this just the open and lock buttons .can anybody guide me in the rite direction to sorting this out ,....cheers all 2004 18t avant.

Is your washer leaking cos the fluid can get in the lock and cause damage.

Is your washer leaking cos the fluid can get in the lock and cause damage.
yes mate your probly rite iam thinking it will be water related to, from my wash/wipe one of the jets has been blocked for some time now i will search the site for advice and have a look myself asap cheers.

The washer pipe tends to split on the hinge point, or at the elbow going into the motor. The water has habit of damaging both the wiper motor and (more rarely) the lock mechanism.

the wiper is working fine apart from 1 of the jets being blocked but whats the bets that this is the root cause of the lock or the motor /solinoid playing up,does anybody know how i remove the interior panel off the tailgate properly coz noing me i will prob break something ,would like to have a look myself to see if i can fix before i have to part with my hard earned....cheers

I am going to check mine cos I have water getting into the spare wheel well and I think the first thing will be to remove the screws in the cover two of which are behind the triangle cover but I have not found a guide so look for any more.If the pipe splits where James suggests I think there s/b signs of water at the bottom of the gate .Have you tried taking of the nozzles to see if you get a good flow from the pipe.Mine jets out so I am not sure there is a leak but it needs checking