Tail light problems - help needed

A3.Lee

Reaction score
Hi All,

Wondering if anybody has had this problem before with their tail lights or if its a common problem,

My rear, off side tail light lamp has blown for the second time in a few months, also it must have a loose connection somewere cos as well as the bulb being blown, there is no power there either I have lost the 12 volts positive to the lamp holder, somewere between the cluster connector and the switch I have no idea how.

Can Anybody shed any light on this?

Thanks in advance for any help given

I would be checkin the fuse, next step would be to carry out a voltage drop test on the live and earth line! :icon_thumright:

The other side is ok and I havent noticed anythig alse not working, Could this still be a fuse?

How would I carryout a vloltage drop test, Is this a low ohm signal sent down the corresponding circuit to get an estimate were the break is?

Yep! i work for a ford dealership, but drive a S3 8P lol on fords each side is fused!! prob the same on the audi, fusebox is inside the o,s,f dash trim (driverside) i would start there first! NO! that would be a resistance check u would be checkin (OHM,S =RESISTANCE) u could do this too but the circuit would have to be dead!! NOT really i good check, voltagedrop is the best test, heres a wee videos takes ages to explain:laugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWf4SURowd8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG9U7uOcEeY
MAKE SURE THE TAIL LIGHT IS SWITCHED ON WHEN DOIN THIS TEST! OR U WILL BE GETTIN THE WRONG READING

Last edited:
Thanks loads for this matey, I will study these videos then crack out the multi meter, after Ive checked all of the fuses of course!

So the Focus Rs/st doesnt do it for you then? Cant beat VAG quality!

Thanks again for this mate You've been very helpful!

Thanks loads for this matey, I will study these videos then crack out the multi meter, after Ive checked all of the fuses of course!

So the Focus Rs/st doesnt do it for you then? Cant beat VAG quality!

Thanks again for this mate You've been very helpful!

No probs sir, Na m8, i had a 190bhp fiesta st
076.jpg
, sold that ordered a new rs focus this was bk in july, was told i wasnt goin to c it till late nov! was like f00k that! bought a white 2008 s3 BEST THING I EVER DID! my m8 got a green rs went to crail and hosed it all day long!!, my other m8 has a 260bhp old rs here a wee video of it gettin hosed 2 canot beat audipower:lmfao:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EnnHm6LNKA

Last edited:
Nice vid!

Is that your S3 smoking the Rs in that vid?

The St is nice too tho you cant beat Vag build quality/drivability compared to ford although they are ALOT better than they were, I like the new Rs ALOT and it sounds PHENOMINAL!

I have just sold my R32 Pictured below, miss this like crazy! I have had x2 golf turbos one was a sgtage 2 250bhp and a 4motion before that,now im on my first audi and I like this alot too
100_0252.jpg

Last edited:
yep sure was sir, i agree!! fixin fords pay the bills:laugh: would never go by a vag car now, sure they have there probs but what car doesnt!! liken the 32 m8, whats up u got rid??

Funnily enough a good mate of mine is a ford mechanic and he drives an audi A3 8L 1.8T Quattro, So your not alone!

Just wasnt driving the R enough coming the winter and got a company van so the 32 was sat in the garage most of the time keeping clean, I would of kept it if I could of temporary insured but nobody would :, (

The audi is a diesal so I sold the missus's car so we can share this one (as she wasnt allowed to drive the 32).

Im saving again already for another beast come the drier weather!(ummm maybe an S3 as im liking my audis at the mo:eyebrows:)

O well I chucked a new lamp in outside the autoshop , Then drove back,(its caked in snow everywere here) slid into a curb:(, Then I got out to check the damage and the ****** tail light was lit! So I would now be looking for a broken connection that is made! LoL!

I will have to keep a close eye on it now and as soon as it goes again I will crack out the meter, very annoying but one of those things.

Does anybody know the wiring routes to the taillights and were there would be any connections or potential area of chaffing?

Last edited:
Ever find out where your break was in your tail light? i have the same problem? in my 06

My nearside tail light is doing the same on my 2003 A3 Tdi. Blub had blown, replaced the bulb, it lit up. Put the back on the light and put it all back together and it didnt work. It has intermittantly worked since. Really fecking anoying!!

Booked in at a garage Wednesday.
Defeated