1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Synthetic Motor Oil?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by hamspeed, Apr 16, 2004.

1. hamspeed

hamspeed New Member

[Apr 16, 2004]
    I know, I know... here we go again. However, this isn't a question of what oil to use, rather, what experience have you had with both Mobil 1 and Red Line synthetic? I'm using Red Line now and love it except for the price. I had used Mobil 1 and was not very satisfied.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 28, 2014]

3. waitey1

waitey1 New Member

[Apr 17, 2004]
    I`ve got Mobil 1 in my RS4 why weren`t you happy with it
  4. hamspeed

hamspeed New Member

[Apr 17, 2004]
    I found that with Mobil 1, I developed engine leaks and was told that due to chemical make-up, the synthetic properties was basically eating through the gaskets!
    I don't know if that is true, but I quit using Mobil 1 and don't have the problem with Red Line synthetic.
    I should point out that this was on my 930, not my Audi... if that makes any difference.
  5. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

[Apr 19, 2004]
    Older engines specifically should not be run on synthetic oils due to the compounds used in gaskets and seals on the engines. The chemical make up of synthetic oils is exactly that, chemical, they are 100% engineered lubricants with fully synth containing no relation to crude oil.

Older engines use natural rubber seals, cork/paper gaskets in cases and are items which do not react well to certain chemicals, so it is quite possible that Mobil 1 or other fully/semi-synthetic oils would react adversly with them.

Stick with traditional motor oil, that's what the engines were designed for and have run well until now.

Just my 2p worth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif