Symphony II+ Radio vs CD volume

steve184

Reaction score
Anyone noticed the volume differs massively when switching between radio and cd? Ive got BOSE too, but i had that one my last 04 A3 with symphony II and the volume levels were pretty equal between radio and cd (never used the tape once!)

This is so annoying as you get the radio at a comfortable volume - decide to listen to a cd and then it comes on really loud - can't believe this as all radios ive had in cars have always had volume compensation between sources.

By the way im currently referring to MP3 cds rather than normal audio ones - not tried one of those yet

....actually just tried one and it isn't far off the same??? why do audi change what was right in the first place?? i don't understand? really annoying!!!

well yes i realised after i did have my mp3s gained up a tiny amount to boost volume on my ipod - but only a small amount. I tried a normal audio cd (which is obviously non-adjustable) last night and there still seemed to be a large differential of volume enough to have to adjust the volume between changing sources.

I prob do have the tone settings set differently between cd and radio but i did on my symphony II and there was discernable difference between volumes, for example with radio i boost the treble up and the bass up, with cd i dont boost the trebleup much and boost the bass up a fair bit but the mid is the same (it is the mid that would affect the volume)

I'll have to have a look - ill try setting all settings the same for cd and radio - do you not have different settings for radio and cd???

cool that would be appreciated pal.... also have you noticed when you look close in daylight the colour of the new symphony unit is slightly different from that of the colour underneath?? its a slightly browner black whereas the rest is a cooler black

My Symphony 2+ does this too! I haven't even played an MP3 yet so it appears the Radio and CD functions have complettely seperate volume settings.

no thats the problem they havent! all aftermarket car radios do tho - they have a seperate memory for each volum for each source so that when you switch between them you dont go really loud or really low - this is a real flaw on the audi system as you could potentially damage your speakers if you have the radio on really loud then chage to cd without turning the volume down first

hmmmm wel i defo reckon there is a BIG difference on mine - i mstly listen to key103 (manchester) and its really low volume compared with the cd volume - they were identical on the old symphony II+ guess its another example of Audi going backwards!!!! how annoying!

This might not be of any use to you guys, but my RNS-E has a similar issue. Although the volume level between radio and MP3 is about the same, every time I leave the car and come back it defaults to quite a high level.

This is a problem when we have the baby in the car, because as soon as I power the unit up I'm already twirling the volume button down before the sound cuts in so the baby doesn't go deaf!

However, there is an "engineering mode" accessible to the RNS-E where (apparently) you can adjust the default volume level. Wonder if there's something similar with Symphony II+? Or maybe you could set it with VAGCOM?

However, there is an "engineering mode" accessible to the RNS-E where (apparently) you can adjust the default volume level. Wonder if there's something similar with Symphony II+? Or maybe you could set it with VAGCOM?

With the Symphony II+ you can adjust the Maximum ON volume through the menu system using the VOL-ON settings.

yes but this doesn't stop the problem, when you are already in the car with the radio on a reasonable volume, then decide to listen to your fav cd and it nearly bursts your eardrums!!!!!! every other car radio on the market adjusts for this automatically and the old sympohony did - but now this one doesn't it seems - well done audi.