1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

symphony cd types

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by treblesykes, Jun 2, 2006.

1. treblesykes

treblesykes Member

[Jun 2, 2006]
    Recently had discs jam and error 3 show up on screen of symphony II , turned out it was terminal and harrogate audi actually arranged for a new one to be fitted f.o.c!!!. Old unit got sent to germany to have the cd,s removed, They actually arrived here this week after about 2 months. Apparently i shouldnt have used cd-r,s only original cd,s should be used. returned discs are undamaged so i cant see them having been stuck or anything. anyone else use cdr? or had to replace headunit after jammed discs of any type?

Harrogate audi must have had a management change as their customer service has gone from nonexcistent to fantastic in about 6 months.
    They replaced a broken parcel shelf no questions asked after refusing previously, and seemed to have lost there aloof snobbish serve you in our own good time attitude.
    A fitter accidently scratched a trim panel while repairing the seat height adjuster and the reception practicaly begged for forgivness! panel was replaced asap of course.
    The girl from service even held an umberella over my wifes head as she walked back to the car.
    Although giving my wife a brand new a6 as a courtesy car wasnt wise, the size of the car scared her half to death.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 28, 2014]

3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jun 2, 2006]
    No cd-r's are fine, but make sure they are proper Audio cd-r's and burn them at a slower speed if you experience read errors. Audi will always say you should only use pressed CD's as the HU was designed before cd-r's existed.
  4. [Jun 3, 2006]
    I use a mix of cheapy CD-rs in my symphony on a constant basis!

In fact, because of how CDs tend to get handled in the car (kids, anyone?) I very rarely use original discs at all, but make CDR copies first specifically for the car..

I use allofmp3 a fair bit too, so a lot of stuff goes on cdr from that way too.

so far, in my symphony, I have never had any cdr rejected or fail working (unless badly scratched which is fair enough.) Am currrently working through a 100 CDR pile that is so cheap and generic it has no manufacturer name at all! no problems..

The only CDs Ive have problems with were pressed HDCDs, the high definition ones - I have an HDCD player indoors, but the symphony has complained about those a bit(despite the fact they should read ok!)
  5. treblesykes

treblesykes Member

[Jun 3, 2006]
    Prehaps it was the two geniune cd's - kelly clarkson and blue - that the symphony choked on , I dont blame it one bit. I even warned my wife that an audi wouldn't like playing that garbage!
  6. synthdood

synthdood Member

[Jun 3, 2006]
    I installed a solisto USB MP3 reader a while back and my Concert II has not seen a CD since. Go the MP3 way and never look back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
  7. [Jun 3, 2006]
    I have a proper MP3 line input to the symphony, it mounts as an additional CD changer - works very well indeed, and have the cable run through to the armrest compartment, so the player fits in there..

yes works very well! good enough to show up how poor the sound quality is from the ipod range compared to some others (all my kids have different mp3 players, as well as mine - its really handy having the universal lead to the armrest that works with any of them!)
  8. treblesykes

treblesykes Member

[Jun 3, 2006]
    tell me more about mp3 through symphony seems a lot wiser than slow changing cds
  9. treblesykes

treblesykes Member

10. [Jun 3, 2006]
    Solisto looks good, bit pricey if you already have an mp3 player, not too bad if you just have memory stick..

Through the family we have an 80GB Archos, a 20GB Archos, a 20GB ipod, a 20GB Sony, a 5GB Creative and a 1GB Generic!

I wanted a standard line in that would allow any of this to work through the symphony.. heres a link to the thread including pics, of what was bought and how it was fitted, cost around 65 I think!

http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads/sho...true#Post363594
  11. Dandle

Dandle Member

[Jun 3, 2006]
    I don't think the symphony units are that reliable(I don’t have one so haven’t directly experienced them) but a freind with an 03 reg A3 is on his third(using original cd's). On a side note a few guys at work with Ford Focus in-dash cd multichangers have also had to have them replaced and it has been admitted to them by Ford that they have a high failure rate. They could well be made by the same company.
  12. synthdood

synthdood Member

[Jun 4, 2006]
    If you already own an iPod then I would get an interface for that. Personally I didn't have an iPod so I went with the Solisto. I use it with a noname el cheapo 2GB USB stick and it works perfectly. The sound quality is good too.

Here is how I installed it: http://members.chello.nl/p.boelen/solisto/default.html
  13. treblesykes

treblesykes Member

[Jun 4, 2006]
    Ipod lives in the house connected to surround sound system, so the memory stick route seems great to me,maybe one stick for wifes tastes , one for mine, each on shuffle.Or if i intend to drive around the world use my 20gb portable usb harddrive (who owns 20gb of music?) Also no battery charging worries with memory stick. An Sd card card method would be great for me as i have a few of those.
  14. imported_Watson

imported_Watson Guest

[Jun 4, 2006]
    Interesting about Trebleskyes - maybe this change has accompanied their move to the new premises just down the road.

When I bought my car I went to a few dealerships including Harrogate, and I didn't get a particularly good feeling about them. I evenually got it from Bradford Audi. However, it would be useful to take it there for its first AVS service.
  15. treblesykes

treblesykes Member

[Jun 4, 2006]
    Bought my from york audi after much haggling at old harrogate. York got the deal because they had a one owner sportsback with 150 miles on clock (unwanted gift!). Tons of expensive extras for little more than price of brand new standard car. Althought redleather wasnt to my initial taste you soon get used to it when its a bargain, and now i would probably buy it again.
  16. synthdood

synthdood Member

[Jun 5, 2006]
    [ QUOTE ]
    An Sd card card method would be great for me as i have a few of those.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Solisto accepts all generic USB storage devices. If you connect a USB SD card reader it will most likely work!
  17. daveflynn

daveflynn Member

[Jun 5, 2006]
    [ QUOTE ]
    (who owns 20gb of music?)

[/ QUOTE ]
    Me

70GB and counting

The phatnoise is gonna need another upgrade soon
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif
  18. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

[Jun 5, 2006]
    yep just over 70gb here as well.
  19. arthurfuxake

arthurfuxake Controversial & Contradictive

[Jun 6, 2006]
    Erm, I have over 250Gb of mp3 music on my pc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
  20. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

[Jun 6, 2006]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Erm, I have over 250Gb of mp3 music on my pc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I trust that's all total legal and paid for content - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
  21. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[Jun 6, 2006]
    [ QUOTE ]
    On a side note a few guys at work with Ford Focus in-dash cd multichangers have also had to have them replaced and it has been admitted to them by Ford that they have a high failure rate. They could well be made by the same company.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought most of Ford's stuff was Sony these days ?

Not that Sony is a guarantee of reliability like.
  22. Aldo

Aldo Active Member

[Jun 10, 2006]
    I wish they would play MP3's :(