1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Symphony 2 Aux-In

Discussion in 'Retrofit' started by BoutTime, Apr 10, 2013.

1. BoutTime

BoutTime Member

Just ordered one from Car Systems on ebay. So fingers crossed although I'm still sceptical as to whether it's the cause.
    Last edited: May 4, 2013
  2. BoutTime

BoutTime Member

Your post didn't appear yesterday so only just seen your results. Interesting though. I guess all I can do is wait for the new Mic to arrive next week from Poland. If it's not that then it's either wiring or the BT Module. Thanks for doing running the test!
  3. BoutTime

BoutTime Member

Just a quick update if anyone's interested.

I took the Mic out yesterday and messed about with my multimeter. It's not my trade so I stuck mainly to continuity checks. Basically the two wires on the mic are I believe for supply voltage/audio and earth. First I checked the pins the mic connects to. Sure enough there was continuity between one pin and the car chasis (I used the 12 volt lighter cage). There was no continuity between the other pin and the chasis. But there was continuity between both pins.

I then checked the mic wires and there was no continuity between wires. A couple of time they did ring out so possibly there is an intermittent problem. But I did tighten the crimps a little to try to improve the connections.

Anyway, today we were out and my other half rang the car to as I was waiting with the kids to pick her up. I answered the phone instinctively and said "I guess you can't hear what I'm saying". To my surprise she said she could but then couldn't. She heard my first couple of words and then that was it. So the mic did work momentarily. We tried this again and the same thing happened. So in the end I'm still none the wiser. I'm still waiting for the replacement Mic. Maybe I'll know more.

In the meantime, does anyone know if there should be continuity between wires on the Mic? I gather they work on high resistance but surely they should ring out?

Two wire electret Mics use a common supply/audio output wire that is then seperated by a DC blocking capacitor and possibly that's whats at fault.

Electret.JPG
  4. AdamNajak

AdamNajak New Member

Why dont you just get an FM transmitter?
  5. BoutTime

BoutTime Member

For what mate? My Aux-In works perfectly. Fantastic sound and a million times better and more reliable than an FM Transmitter. The issue now is the Mic for my Audi Phone Prep. The only link to the original post is that I first noticed the Mic wasn't working after I installed the Aux-In. Even with the Aux-In removed, the Mic still doesn't work.
  6. BoutTime

BoutTime Member

Would you believe it. It was the Mic after all. Replacement Mic from Car Systems in Poland arrived today after sitting at Royal Mail Heathrow for the past 9 days. Just plugged it in and all works.:yahoo:

So after all the head scratching it was nothing to do with the Connects2 Aux-In install after all. Just the bloody Mic that failed!

Thanks for your help fellas. Especially jb0o and NHN. As the Mic from Poland looked lost, I ordered another new one off eBay for only £12 delivered. UK seller too. I'll going to keep it I think just in case. Well chuffed!:whistle2: