1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching on Lights draining power? And now front side light comes on when braking!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Gavin G, May 31, 2011.

1. Gavin G

Gavin G Member

[May 31, 2011]
    This just started yesterday. When i am driving in any gear cruising along and i switch on my lights, the car loses power as if if is dying out doesn't matter if i try reving just now reponse whatsoever, only comes back to normal when i change down a gear. Any ideas what this problem could be?

2002 A3 AUM
    Last edited: May 31, 2011
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

[May 31, 2011]
    Sounds like a dying alternator or loose terminals..
  4. Gavin G

Gavin G Member

[May 31, 2011]
    Ok thanks Dave, i'll check the terminals, she is in for an check up on Thursday before she goes for the MOT i will get them to check the alternator while they ar at it :thumbsup:
  5. Gavin G

Gavin G Member

[May 31, 2011]
    Hi folks me again, iv'e just noticed in the rear of a shiney big jeep when driving home that when i press the brake my left hand side front light comes on :ermm: What could be wrong with me car? Relay fcked, fuse, some more serious?? Please help :unsure:
  6. Gavin G

Gavin G Member

[May 31, 2011]
    After Googling and checking the brake light bulb that i replace i found it's only got one connector at the bottom when it should have 2 hopefully i'll replace it and it will fix the side light issue :notme: Do you guys think this maybe would be related to the other issue?
  7. ja3mie

ja3mie A3 1.8t Quattro Sport!

[May 31, 2011]
    if you put a single filiment bulb in a twin filiment bulbhlder (yes it can be done! lol) when you brake, it can cause the side lights to come on, vice versa as it can power the opposite circuit, i would try that and see what happens mate!
  8. Gavin G

Gavin G Member

[May 31, 2011]
    Got a new bulb (twin filament lol) and things are fine now, it also fixed the power drain when i switched the headlights on, who would have thought 1 wee bulb could cause so many problems :nyah::yahoo: thanks guys
  9. ja3mie

ja3mie A3 1.8t Quattro Sport!

[May 31, 2011]
    lol yep, in thatcase, i would say the bulb was connecting the wrong circuits as i said above :) glad its sorted mate.
    onwards and upwards as they say!