Switching off the brake-lights....

I call it driving properly , with manners and a sensitivity towards other road users....

That's why I corrected the OP from his phrase "old school". The OP isn't in a New Jersey based Gangster TV series......

Reactions: Scott and PilotAudi
What if they then think you're pulling off and go into the back of you? I'm sure it's not unheard of.

I often stop on the foot brake then put on the handbrake, no one has ever thought I was pulling away and driven into the back of me. Even if they did, they really should be able to stop before hitting the car in front if moving off from a stand still.

I don't think it's pedantic to think that effectively turning off your brake lights when someone is stationary behind you, would result in them thinking you're about to move off.

If someone thinks that, they don't know how to drive and should not be on the road...

That's why I corrected the OP from his phrase "old school". The OP isn't in a New Jersey based Gangster TV series......
For your information and education the term "old school" means "a class of people favouring traditional ideas"

I call it driving properly , with manners and a sensitivity towards other road users....

Manners cost nothing, but sadly not everyone it seems can afford them.

... especially when they are behind the wheel of a car.

Edit to add... also some people on internet discussion forums :)

Reactions: cuke2u
For your information and education the term "old school" means "a class of people favouring traditional ideas"

Thanks for that. I am from a different generation. The one that watched the Sopranos and leaves brake lights on.....

Last edited:
Weird thread - the hill hold doesn't apply the brake lights. Only the foot brake applies the brake light.

Weird thread - the hill hold doesn't apply the brake lights. Only the foot brake applies the brake light.

That's true, but the 8V has 'hill hold' as standard but the is also the option Hold Assist (UH2) which costs £90 which holds the vehicle stationary for unlimited periods after stopping. Hill hold only work for a short time. The Hold Assist option does keep the brake lights on the whole time you are stopped.

My previous 8P had 'hill hold' but as I have an s-tronic gearbox, when I applied normal pressure to the brake pedal the Start/Stop system would switch off the engine. But if I took my foot off the brake pedal the engine would re-start. With the 8V and Hold Assist once I have stopped I can take my foot off the brake pedal and the engine will not re-start until I use the accelerator to move away in the same way as using using the Parking Brake.

Thanks for that. I am for a different generation. The one that watched the Sopranos and leaves brake lights on.....

Interesting attitude - you are implying that being selfish is a good thing? Forgive me if I am misunderstanding here...

Reactions: PilotAudi
Interesting attitude - you are implying that being selfish is a good thing? Forgive me if I am misunderstanding here...

Yes you are. I'm pointing out that later generations are not as courteous perhaps. I have certainly grown up in a world where people do not seem to give any consideration for other road users. Therefore (unlike the OP) I will not go out of my way to ease a perceived issue for the person behind me. I'm going to let the car operate as it was designed.

That's true, but the 8V has 'hill hold' as standard but the is also the option Hold Assist (UH2) which costs £90 which holds the vehicle stationary for unlimited periods after stopping. Hill hold only work for a short time. The Hold Assist option does keep the brake lights on the whole time you are stopped.

My previous 8P had 'hill hold' but as I have an s-tronic gearbox, when I applied normal pressure to the brake pedal the Start/Stop system would switch off the engine. But if I took my foot off the brake pedal the engine would re-start. With the 8V and Hold Assist once I have stopped I can take my foot off the brake pedal and the engine will not re-start until I use the accelerator to move away in the same way as using using the Parking Brake.

Got you - I was referring to the "hold assist" - this doesn't apply the brake lights so maybe ask the dealer about that? I do like the fact that auto start stop works with hold assist - my A6 doesn't.

Got you - I was referring to the "hold assist" - this doesn't apply the brake lights so maybe ask the dealer about that? I do like the fact that auto start stop works with hold assist - my A6 doesn't.

Hold assist on the A3 does keep the brake lights on. Hill hold doesn't.

Even if they did, they really should be able to stop before hitting the car in front if moving off from a stand still.

They should, but the level and quality of driving on the roads in the UK isn't great, with many drivers stopping too close to the vehicle in front. If an appropriate distance is left between vehicles then yes, they should be able to stop. It only takes a momentary lapse in concentration (distracting passenger, kids messing around), the brake lights go off and the driver instinctively decides to pull off. Mistakes/accidents do happen, believe it or not!

If someone thinks that, they don't know how to drive and should not be on the road...

There are many people who don't know how to drive and probably shouldn't be on the road - but they are.

However if we have to worry about every permutation of bad driving then we wouldn't be in a car in the first place.

It seems idiotic that the brake lights are illuminated while you're at a complete stop with your brakes engaged? You wouldn't want to alert other road users to the fact that you are stopped?

This whinge seems completely idiotic to me :think:

And what were you taught when you learned to drive? That once you've used the footbrake to come to a halt, you're supposed to put the handbrake on, put the car in neutral and take your feet off the pedals, at which point your brake lights will go out. Brake lights are to indicate to the following car that you're slowing down, not that you're stopped. Sitting with them lit in the dark for no reason when someone is behind you being dazzled by them is just totally inconsiderate but then the vast majority of road users these days don't seem to care about anyone but themselves.

The electro-mechanical handbrake is actually very good in this respect as the combined facts that it can be applied with a simple finger flick rather than lifting a manual level and that you can simple drive away and have it release automatically actually promote its use when stopped at lights, rather than sitting with your foot on the brake. The fact that the hold assist keeps the brake lights lit totally "undoes" all this, hence why it's idiotic.

Reactions: h5djr and cuke2u
Another +1 to that. These electronic devices are making drivers very lazy. Too lazy to even click a switch.

Another +1 to that. These electronic devices are making drivers very lazy. Too lazy to even click a switch.

Let's hope we don't debate high beam assist then or ACC. People too lazy to move the headlight stalk themselves or modulate their throttle / brakes.

Reactions: MA3RC
Let's hope we don't debate high beam assist then or ACC. People too lazy to move the headlight stalk themselves or modulate their throttle / brakes.

Yes but there is a difference with them. Those two only affect the driver. Brake-lights being on affect other road users and not the driver unless of course the driver does not have High Beam Assist and is too lazy to take his headlights of main beam. ACC affects no one else.

+1 Agree there Pulp. Have had ACC and HBA and frankly thought they were a waste of money and make one inclined to be lazy.. on a par with the attitude.. I can't be bothered to indicate IMHO but each to their own. As someone who enjoys driving and cars there is a limit to the number of 'driving aids' I want!! ACC does affect others, particularly on Motorways/Autoroutes when it slows you down way too early rather than allowing you to overtake safely. (A7/A6 experiences)

Reactions: Pulp84 and MA3RC

Your comment above mentions nothing about "affect on other road users" as you put it. You mention electronic devices making drivers very lazy and sounds like a general criticism of systems. Hence my valid point RE high beam assist and ACC as they take away the bother of using switches etc.

So why is Dave buying a car with ACC and even electric windows?

Reactions: MA3RC and Pulp84
So why is Dave buying a car with ACC and even electric windows?

Remember this post by a Moderator back in January 2014...

When I buy a car I look for what I like on it,I find it 'bizarre' that some people like you PA are having a dig at others who don't go for exactly the same extras as you for whatever reason.

Also I thought the reasoning behind options is for buyers to tailor the car to suit what they want not for them to tick the same boxes like sheep.

I know exactly why I decided on the various options on my new 8V and how I will use them. By the way electric windows are not an option but standard on all A3s.

Reactions: cuke2u
Not having a dig just surprised at your change of view.

Having quoted 'These electronic devices are making drivers very lazy. Too lazy to even click a switch' I was surprised.. nothing more! ;-)

Last edited:
Not having a dig just surprised at your change of view.

Having quoted 'These electronic devices are making drivers very lazy. Too lazy to even click a switch' I was surprised.. nothing more! ;-)

It's not a change of view at all. It's knowing when is appropriate to use the devices. Sitting in a queue of traffic at a level crossing for instance is not in my view the correct place to be using Hold assist when by clicking a switch I can have just the same result without having my brake lights shining in the face of the driver behind. Hold Assist has it's uses, but I don't think that is one of them.

It seems some drivers are too lazy to click the Parking Brake switch and would rather just do nothing.

It seems some drivers are too lazy to click the Parking Brake switch and would rather just do nothing.

Not lazy, we just don't give a sh1t. Lazy implies that we actually care and think we probably should but we can't be bothered.

Supposed to apply parking brake when stationary anyway. So hill hold or not it shouldn't matter.

Reactions: h5djr
Not lazy, we just don't give a sh1t. Lazy implies that we actually care and think we probably should but we can't be bothered.

What ever happen to manners and consideration for others or it it just Me Me Me all the time.

Sounds like you should be driving a BMW rather than an Audi.

Reactions: 0B1001001
What ever happen to manners and consideration for others or it it just Me Me Me all the time.

me me me

Perhaps you should be in a Skoda or Volvo by now?

Reactions: SlightlyYapper and PilotAudi
Bit harsh suggesting a Volvo.

Skodas are pretty good these days but tend to use older VAG bits and are less tactile. Speedos have bigger numbers which may help some owners;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pulp84 and Scott

I got a BMW company car. I'd actually say Audi or Merc drivers are worse nowadays.....

I got a BMW company car. I'd actually say Audi or Merc drivers are worse nowadays.....

You may well be right. It's just that BMW drivers seem to have built up a reputation (rightly or wrongly) for not really careing about other drivers.

That's probably because they have moved over to Audi. Most current BMWs are ***** IMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
That's probably because they have moved over to Audi. Most current BMWs are ***** IMHO

Lol agree. I shouldn't moan as I don't pay much for it but I have a new F30 320d Sport auto with lots and lots of options but I hate it. Think the quality has gone down hill big time with their products. Paint, plastics etc all awful. It does have a traditional hand brake though :yes:

Was in Salisbury Audi today and as we parked up a couple got out of a 62 plate 5 series who walked straight in and asked to speak to someone about swapping it for a new A6! It had BMW Salisbury stickers so they were local and didn't look like a company car. The husband looked annoyed !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Used to love the old 1970s 2002 and friends dad had a 635Csli 'Batmobile' but modern stuff just seems bling and plasticky . Friends have an X1 and 320d and have had just a few issues with DL the local dealer. Audi may not be perfect but the Sline S /RS trim is as good as it gets IMHO .

I wouldn't generalise about 'BMW' drivers as many Audi drivers according to Tory **** Clarkson are now '*****' ;-)

Reactions: Pulp84
I test drove a BMW X5 M50d up Sierra Nevada in Spain a few weeks ago and I was really impressed, but it was fully spec'd and must have been £90k with the options, but I also test drove a M135i a while ago and was disappointed.

Whilst not a BMW fan I do drive several and I agree the 135i should have huge potential but it feels like it has no soul and the seats are aweful !

I test drove a BMW X5 M50d up Sierra Nevada in Spain a few weeks ago and I was really impressed, but it was fully spec'd and must have been £90k with the options, but I also test drove a M135i a while ago and was disappointed.

Thought you were joking about that price, so I threw a few options on and got one to £88k, over £20k just in options! :blink:

Reactions: Scott