1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swirl marks.

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by s3clarke, Dec 8, 2012.

1. s3clarke

s3clarke Money grabbing s3!

What's best to get rid of light swirl marks in dark paint, without a buffer?
  2. Gizmo68

Gizmo68 VCDS owner in Kent

Without a machine polisher you want something like AutoGlym Super Resin Polish (SRP) as it contains ‘fillers’ which will mask the swirls, this doesn’t last forever though, the only way to fully remove them is by a machine polisher.
  3. DickosS3

DickosS3 Member

^1
  4. s3clarke

Cheers pal.
  5. DickosS3

DickosS3 Member

Get urself a machine polisher pal. Well worth the money. Start with a da. Ull be suprised with the results.
  6. Gizmo68

Gizmo68 VCDS owner in Kent

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  7. WAFTER

WAFTER Member

Removing swirls with a machine polisher takes practice to achieve the skills required. Why bother when a professional will do it for you. Having peace of mind and somebody else doing the work and having the responsibility is worth the few bob spent.
    Followed up with a good hard protective finish will minimise repeating the process too often.
    s3clarke likes this.
  8. matts1

matts1 Member

as said, will be difficult without a machine polisher. I tend to use Poors boys Black hole glaze as it is designed for darker cars and is really easy to use, followed up with nattys past wax, again, easy to use and designed for darker colour cars. I found these also didn't show up stone chips like some polishes.
    Gourlay1990 and s3clarke like this.
  9. the_cueball

the_cueball Member

There are some polishes out now that work well by hand to remove light swirls... Gtechniq P1 for example...

It may be a bit harder because Audi paint is 'generally' considered hard, but worth a shot...

:thumb:
    Gourlay1990 and s3clarke like this.
  10. sidibear

sidibear Looking for Zombies !! Staff Member Moderator

+1 here for Poorboys blackhole, finished mine off with collinite to seal it. Still looking good after 2 months of being kept outside.
  11. s3clarke

Thanks guys, the poor boys is defiantly on the cards after xmas. had my eyes on it before. I used auto glym SRP then dodo juice purple haze on it the other day. the shine is lovely, but there is a few swirls in the paint. I'm probably being a bit over the top, but would like the paintwork as good as I can get it, then if i'm still not happy my pal machine polishes cars pretty cheap.
  12. sidibear

sidibear Looking for Zombies !! Staff Member Moderator

The only problem is that when you do start and get rid of the swirl marks you tend to get really anal about the finish as any swirls you have missed will stand out more, and drive you nuts until you sort them. It will totally transform the finish of your car though.