Swapping my 530d for the 530i

Caesium

My BM is fixed!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I know this should be in the other models bit but there's tumbleweeds there so i'd be better inserting it here.

My BMW dealer wants to swap my 530d with a 530i they have in stock as i have had so many problems with it.
Has anyone here ever driven a 530i?

I haven't and I just wanted people's opinion on them.

Check your boot fella. Maybe it's full of Krugerrands and he knows it.

...I might just be being suspicious though.

Does he have an A6 for you? ;)

Regards,

Rob.

I'd like nothing better than an A6 LeMans 3.0 but i'm stuck with the poxy beemer

Dude, don't ever delete that post :lmfao:

We should probably have a chat. Anyway sorry, back on topic...

I can't speak from experience but I'll ask a chap I know to give me a summary, he's had two 530i's, a 530d and a 535d...

Rob.

I haven't but having a stab at some stuff, might be wrong haven't looked up the stats

3.0 petrol less desirable than the diesel in a 5?
Slower? At least in the in gear times?
Worse on fuel?

I reckon the link for this thread should be posted on a certain website :)

Whats the Tax on the 530i compared to the 530d?

I have a 530D and I would recommend you get him to give you another - without any faults - or even better, a 535D

I would say the following:
530D - best balance of performance and economy. Pulls harder than the 530i due to diesel torquiness
530i - quieter V6 engine but you will pay for it in fuel economy and depreciation
535D - M5 performance without the hefty fuel bills

I'd see if he's got an M5 available, if it's petrol you want, then the M5 is the only 5 series you should be looking at, even though it's an automatic! :)
Me personally, I'd stick with a 5 series diesel for residuals and fuel consumption, just get it mapped if it's not quick enough! :racer:

mate it is so obvious

the 530i is a hell of a lot cheaper than your 530d, have a look in the autotrader, diesels bmw hold there money better, the dealer is trying to shaft you.

3.0i is so poor on economy you will be looking aroubd 10- 15 mpg
ihad a 325ci and that gave me 19mpg driving with out any foot to the floor sport action

evryone after a 5 series is after some kind of diesel, tell him to do one say you want a 530d.

3.0i is so poor on economy you will be looking aroubd 10- 15 mpg
ihad a 325ci and that gave me 19mpg driving with out any foot to the floor sport action

:huh: 25mpg is more like it in mixed driving

Get him to give you a 550i with a manual gearbox :yes: now that's a petrol 5 worth having, wouldn't bother with M5, too effing complicated for it's own good.

I'd rather have a 530i over a d, but that's just my personal preference for rev-counters that go all the way round :yum:

i had a 330coupe diesel and then a 330 petrol... both have their merits.

performance wise there's not much difference overall IMO because the diesel makes up for it's lower BHP figure with the extra torque it has. The only thing that would make by go from your 530d into a 530i is the noise the petrol makes :)

A factor which used to make a difference, making petrols still slightly desirable over diesels is the fact petrol and diesel are roughly the same price per litre, for now anyway...

Get another diesel...

Dave

How old is your 530d? And are they swapping it for a brand new 530i?

The depreciation on the 530i, as I'm sure you know will be much greater than the 530d - especially if it's a touring?