Swapped the 170 TDI for a 2.0 TT

PJLarge

Reaction score
I was offered a very good deal on the A3 as I was getting very frustrated with the ongoing hot restart problem that no-one could fix, so I traded it in against a 2.0 TT in Lava Grey. It's an Audi Exclusive colour that was a cancelled order, I was in the right place at the right time.

What is interesting is that on my daily commute, in the 170 I was doing 42 MPG, in the TFSI I get 38 MPG which confirms the suspicion I had all along in that I wouldn't have been that much worse off getting a petrol again.

In the week leading up to getting the TT, they lent me a 1.9 TDI SE A3. I was amazed at the economy of that thing - it didn't have a DIS, so I don't have figures, but on a run down to Stevenage and back and associated local mileage I managed over 550 miles to 3/4 of a tank. I'm sure I could have hit 700 miles to a tank of fuel in that car!

Anyway here are some pics of the TT:

Congrats mate-lovely car,I really like the look of those red seats:thumbsup:

PJLarge said:
In the week leading up to getting the TT, they lent me a 1.9 TDI SE A3. I was amazed at the economy of that thing

i have a 1.9 TDi SE A3, and yeap its MPG is very good, i use to put £30 in every week or so, but now its half of that.

I love the pics of the car, looks amazing, well done!

i test drove a 2.0T DSG a while back and it just didn't do anything for me - sure it sounded much better than a diesel but it just didn't feel as eager! you have to rev it more to get the torque out of it and at the end of the day it is torque that rotates the wheels not bhp.

Stonker mate !! Love the seats, they aren't crimson red are they ?

Mo said:
Stonker mate !! Love the seats, they aren't crimson red are they ?

Yer right, they are not crimson red.

:yahoo:

Congratulations, sure an head turner... almost my ride until I met Phantom... lol

Pedro

Lovely TT!

Loving the seats so much, are you happier with a petrol engine?

Nice mate ! Looks the business. Thought about one myself, always wanted a TT but can't get the mountain bikes in the back.

Mark

RobinA3 said:
Lovely TT!

Loving the seats so much, are you happier with a petrol engine?

Sure am. After all, for what I'm using the car for there's not really much in it economy wise. The 170TDI is a good engine, but there's a lot to be said for winding up a petrol engine to the redline - it's far more rewarding than an oil burner:)

markwiggy said:
Thought about one myself, always wanted a TT but can't get the mountain bikes in the back

Actually I'm not so sure you would struggle - if you put the back seats down there's masses of space. I've got a road bike and I'm pretty sure I could get that in there without too much hassle.

Nice one.

How do you find the ride and handling compared to the A3 ?

The ride is a lot different, it's much less crashy even though they are both on 18" wheels. Handling is also more alive, I noticed that on the first 100 yards of the test drive - you could feel more of what the road was doing through the chassis. The steering is typical Audi although at parking speeds it's way lighter than the A3. I'd go so far as to say it's the best car I've had so far (and believe me, I've had a few:eyebrows:)

PJLarge said:
The ride is a lot different, it's much less crashy even though they are both on 18" wheels. Handling is also more alive, I noticed that on the first 100 yards of the test drive - you could feel more of what the road was doing through the chassis.
:thumbsup:

PJLarge said:
The steering is typical Audi although at parking speeds it's way lighter than the A3.
That was going to be my next question. I find the A3 steering far too vague and lifeless, and it has an alarming lack of self-centering when straightening up after a corner.

PJLarge said:
In the week leading up to getting the TT, they lent me a 1.9 TDI SE A3. I was amazed at the economy of that thing - it didn't have a DIS, so I don't have figures, but on a run down to Stevenage and back and associated local mileage I managed over 550 miles to 3/4 of a tank. I'm sure I could have hit 700 miles to a tank of fuel in that car!

Yup,I did Aberdeen to Blackburn and back on a tank in my 1.9tdi A4 (130bhp)
Four big blokes and light luggage.
Did it in 3 hours 40 minutes too,so I wasn't hanging around.
So that was over 600 miles to a tank,at an average speed of over 80mph.
Incredible.
I couldn't hope to get anywhere near that under the same cirumstances in my 140.
I'd have to rip out the interior,slipstream lorries and go into neutral down hills.

going into neutral downhills wouldn't help!!!!