1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

suspension

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by ScoobyA4, Jun 8, 2007.

1. ScoobyA4

ScoobyA4 ding dang do

[Jun 8, 2007]
    my suspension is making funny noises when going over speed bumps, it is also quite wobbly on braking and turning.

i think its time to replace. the question is:

i want to improve the handling, but not lose too much comfort. how do i go about this and can anyone recommend??

Ta in advance (hopefully this car will have nothing left to go wrong soon!)
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 21, 2014]

3. OnTheJazz

OnTheJazz Member

[Jun 8, 2007]
    i presume its the front suspension thats is making the noises?

if so, i would say you prob need to replace your suspension arms before worrying about the springs&shocks.

But to your original question, if you want comfort, then some decent shocks and springs like H&R or eibach with koni dampers, if you want adjustability then go for some coilovers, either from the above or KW etc.
  4. ScoobyA4

ScoobyA4 ding dang do

[Jun 8, 2007]
    i think its the back, but its hard to tell. it happens sometimes as the front goes up and sometimes when back goes down. its hard to do it on purpose if you get me!

am i looking stupid prices for the choices above?
  5. OnTheJazz

OnTheJazz Member

[Jun 8, 2007]
    Ok, is your car 2wd or quattro?

Best bet is get the car up on axe stands or a 2 post ramp and try to locate the source of the noise.

If you you need front arms, then you can get kit off ebay from £120, if its rear then i presume it will prob just be bushes, that would probably be cheaper, depending on if you can do the work yoursel.

As for suspension, depending on what you want, anywhere from £150 for shock and springs to £000's for top quality coilovers
  6. joost

joost Active Member

[Jun 8, 2007]
    If you're thinking of changing the setup it may be worth putting new arms on the front anyway whilst it's apart. I've got Eibach sportline springs and pro dampers on mine - ride's quite firm but not uncomfortable. Cost was about £350 for the pro-dampers fron venom motorsport, the springs were £60 off Fleabay.
  7. ScoobyA4

ScoobyA4 ding dang do

[Jun 8, 2007]
    all arms on front have been replaced, 3 had died when i bought it, so had all done anyway.

will get the suspension checked while the anti-roll bar link is being done tomorrow. its a fwd 1.9tdi. The noise is similiar to that of air hissing out etc...
  8. stapo69

stapo69 All hail the mighty quattro!

[Jun 8, 2007]
    My mate had V-Maxx/Jamex coilovers off ebay on his 1.9tdi, a real bargain for around £300! Comfort was great, handling was loads better and all the height adjustment you could ever need. I run FK Highsport coilovers, the same goes for them, got mine for £520 from eurocarparts. Considering the price of springs and shocks I'd go for either of these every time, well worth it.
  9. ScoobyA4

ScoobyA4 ding dang do

[Jun 9, 2007]
    maybe a mong question, but are coilover the full suspension i.e. shocks and springs? and that would be all i need to purchase?

Obviously i wont be fitting them!

Also, what is a good site to be buying Audi parts from? ie kevlar axle bushes and the like? Google constantly throws up breakers yards etc
  10. OnTheJazz

OnTheJazz Member

[Jun 9, 2007]
    Alright scooby, yup coilovers are the complete unit, springs and shocks.

as for parts, checkout a performance mag and you will get a whole load of companies that can supply your needs:icon_thumright:
    for nornal parts i just use the local factors and the stealers (main dealer!)
  11. ScoobyA4

ScoobyA4 ding dang do

[Jun 10, 2007]
    had the car up on a ramp, sorted the anti-roll bar link, major creak on front drivers side. sounds like the spring is dying! :sadlike:

Ah well, may be time to buy the lowered coilovers then! :)
  12. ScoobyA4

ScoobyA4 ding dang do

[Jun 12, 2007]