1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suspension

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by S KEANE, Dec 5, 2013.

1. S KEANE

S KEANE Member

Hi peeps in looking to up grade my shocks on my S3 sportback but don't want to lower the car I'm running on 18" wheels that are fine just want a really nice ride :) any suggestions ?

2. Sevv

Sevv Pushing the limits..

gotta be more specific then that mate, do you like the ride hard, spongy, smooth ... all depends the B14's i got a reasonably stiff but handling is ace.

3. S KEANE

S KEANE Member

Smooth mte but need to be able to soak up the bumps but a little bit stiff I'm pushing 380ps just want the ride to be nicer and not need to lower the car aswell.

4. Sevv

Sevv Pushing the limits..

thats a tuff one , not sure of any coilovers being as smooth as the stock suspension, but i know that my b14's are height adjustable so you lower or raise to your discretion .. so that solves you dropping issue but it can be stiff i know from mine .. but i think if you keep it at the stock heigh the dampening might be softer as it has more height to move about (the dampner that is)

5. Muzza80

Muzza80 Well-Known Member

You need to be more specific with what you actually want to achieve here and also specific about what it is you don't like about the standard setup.

Perhaps renewing the standard dampers may be enough, if you're car is upwards of 50,000 miles they will be getting to the end of their optimal life to be honest which will result in reduced damping ability which in turn directly relates to comfort and part of what is widely known as "handling".

If I read it right and you want to improve ride comfort but still retain good handling characteristics and not lower the car at all then I'd recommend the Koni FSD dampers with your standard springs.

I had them on my previous Astra VXR Nurburgring Edition and they're excellent dampers and specifically designed for the charateristics I think you may be after. They really do work, they give more compliance on uneven roads but also firm up nicely when pushing on, as I say, excellent dampers. Koni don't make ****!

Larkspeed do them for £550 for the set and that's with a lifetime warranty.

It's what I'll be changing to when the current ones start to show signs of wear.

#5 Muzza80, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  6. S KEANE

S KEANE Member

That's the one koni I was looking at my S3 is near the 98000 mile mark now and I done nearly everything else mte so I think I will go for them with standard springs :) cheers for the advice