Suspension Woes

JudderMan

Reaction score
Earlier this year I was getting knocking on the front end so with the MOT due I gave it to my mate's garage to sort. I bought Sachs gas dampers from ECP (using my reg so I doubt they are the wrong ones) and he fitted them. Wish I'd gone for coilovers as they have been nothing but ****e since being fitted. They crash over potholes and speed bumps I need to take at 2mph. It's like the top mounts aren't tight and it smashes upwards over a bump then the shock does it's job. Springs aren't broken that I can see but I know they can snap without you being able to tell until they are out. Mid corner bumps are the worst particularly left handers. He changed the front ARB bushes too at the same time.

I haven't had time to take it back to him and wondered if you guys could let me know what it could be. I have taken a look and everything looks OK, nothing moves when yanking on the wheel (up/down, side to side). He does it for cheap as he's a family friend so I don't want to go bounding over in case it's something else. Plus, I could do without the cost as I have my wedding coming up and all my money is going that way. The car won't know what's hit it once I've paid everything off, though :rock:

Also, left handers or turning almost full lock to the left makes it sound like the wheel is rubbing on the arch liner. I've checked and there are no scuffs, the tyre is fine, but there was an additional piece of liner that was zip tied in place which wasn't done by him so I cut it off as it wasn't doing anything. I'm still getting rubbing though.

I guess the dampers are screwed/wrong ones, top mounts aren't tight, ARB has come loose? It handles well still not that I drive fast (see Fuelly below for proof) but it tracks straight and isn't dangerous to drive not that I go far or have used it much since the work has been done. I should have this weekend free to give it another once over or take it to his garage.