Suspension Top Mounts

M

murphyslaw

I think I need to replace the front top mounts as there is slight knocking when going over slightly bumpy roads.
I've read about others also experiencing this but not read about the dramas endured in doing so.

I'm reasonably competent (by no means a seasoned mechanic), but how big a job is it to DIY?

I'm going to have a crack at this on the weekend.as far as I know you need a 7mm Allen key and a spark plug socket to undo the top mount bolts. then drop the subframe slightly or remove the strut from the hub

I'm going to have a crack at this on the weekend.as far as I know you need a 7mm Allen key and a spark plug socket to undo the top mount bolts. then drop the subframe slightly or remove the strut from the hub
Subframe! you dont need to touch that mate get some spring compressors.....:icon_thumright:

Yeah... just re-read that!!... certainly don't need to touch the subframe...

Allen key is required to prevent the damper rod from turning while you undo the top nut (18mm springs to mind...)

You need to spread the hub enough to get the bottom of the strut out... you may nott need spring compressors to remove the strut if you already have lowering springs but you will need them to remove/replace the top mount once the strut is off...

<tuffty/>

cheers for the links and advise guys,you saved me fecking up my car lol

I've got powerflex wishbone bushes fitted not long ago so ill leave them where they are.tbh my car has done 90k and the top mounts have gone aobthey lasted very long,as its my daily/ soon to be track car there's no need at the mo for the track density mounts.let me know how they go once they arrive

LCR top mounts (as seen in the link to my build thread) are a similar durometer to the 034 track density ones compared to std mounts (including S3 ones) of around 55 durometer

The LCR ones are around £25/£30 each... they made my car feel much tighter (and continue to do so) once changed... some of that is of course partially due to them being newer but they do make a noticeable difference

<tuffty/>

I will let you know how they feel on the mk4.

I have alot of the track density stuff on my b5 rs4 and its better to drive then stock, giving better feel and is more comfortable. SO dont be put off with the "track density" wording, they do some stuff for track like race mounts etc and they are track focused.

How did it go? Doesn't sound like it went too well, or you considered going for the uprated ones mentioned above?
Mine definitely feels loose at the front, hope it is the top mounts and they are pretty easy to do as will be having a go myself soon enough :$