Suspension question

leydster

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused. After reading on here about suspension and selecting normal suspension I asked my dealer about it. Where I stand now I have the S Line model with sports suspension. Is this ok or should I have the S Line or Normal suspension? Cheers in advance

I'm a bit confused. After reading on here about suspension and selecting normal suspension I asked my dealer about it. Where I stand now I have the S Line model with sports suspension. Is this ok or should I have the S Line or Normal suspension? Cheers in advance

In case of S line - 'normal' or 'default' suspension is the Sport one. SE is the softest / highest. Sport is lowered by 15mm, S line by further 10 mm. I don't think that anyone will be able to give you an answer to that question. It's up to you - and whether you prefer stiffer or softer ride. You should test drive both options and decide for yourself. Ideally try to test drive the same trim / engine as the car you want to order. Wheel size, chassis length (suspension feels a bit softer on the Sportback version) and engine (1.4TFSI is much lighter than diesel) can all have an impact on the ride comfort.

Depends what type of suspension you want. Personally I have a Sport on order and I have de-selected the Sport suspension and gone for the standard suspension for the extra comfort. With the S-Line you also get Sport suspension as standard and you can go to the harder S-Line suspension or the standard suspension both as 'no charge options.

It is up to you to decide which you type you prefer. The are others on here who have various setups but it depends if you are after the comfort of the standard suspension, the intermediate of the Sport suspension (lowered by 15mm compared with standard suspension) or the harder S-line suspension (lowered by 25mm compared with standard suspension). Only you can decide...

Appreciate the help

I test drove 3 door S line with a Diesel engine and Sport suspension - Mrs agreed with me that the ride was a bit on the firm side but still fine, and I knew that the car I'll be getting (Sportback with 1.4 COD) will be a bit softer. I'm sure you will find people here who felt that Sport suspension is too harsh, and those who love their S-line suspension.

Thanks for all the input. Feel a bit of an idiot now. Didn't realise there was so much to it. I literally just walked in and said give me this spec wise not knowing about suspension. Need to try get a drive in SE and sport models now.

Note thought, the A3 sportback/saloon has a longer wheelbase than the 3-door. This can also affect how a suspension 'feels'....

Like Dave, I have a sport with SE (normal) suspension. I find it handles perfectly fine, and is still firm enough while giving more comfort than the others. Reviews I've read say that the lowered setups add much more firmness without improving the handling all that much - but as others have said, it's entirely a personal choice and the only way you're going to be able to tell is to test drive them really.

What I'd really like to see is side on shots of A3s on 18s running on SE, Sport and S-Line so I can see the visual difference.

Big ask I guess

Yep - only 17" on mine, 18 are too big for me I think.

Go on youtube and watch the reviews. Almost all the reviews I have watched and read recommend the standard SE suspension.

Having said that, you need a test drive. We test drove an A3 Sportback Sport on sport suspension and didn't like it. I did the cats eye test. It was a lot more comfortable on a SE Golf.

Does anyone know if the S-line or magnetic ride suspension is lower on the Sedan. The brochure it completely ambiguous about the drop in height on the magnetic ride equipped cars. It does state that the s-line suspension is 25mm lower then the standard car.

I think the mag ride uses the same springs and has the same ride height as the Sport suspension.

Reactions: OZAudi84
No, not at all, I like the way my car corners completely flat with no body roll. Any harder would be unbearable any softer and I'd get seasick :)

Reactions: First Ever Audi
Sound like a fairy tale 'three bears porridge ' story . What is 'just right ' for you will be too hot or cold for others.

I have bumped another thread for you to read.

I found the sport suspension firmer than the setup on my Golf GTD. Though I do have the suspension permanently set to comfort and changing the original tyres made a difference too. I previously had a Golf and bought the GTD without test driving one. I wrongly assumed that, being a Golf, it would be comfortable.

A lot depends on personal preference and how you like to drive. But also the roads you drive on and the amount of time you spend in the car. Some days I have to drive over 5 hours and the majority of the roads I drive are bumpy B roads. For this, I bought the wrong car.

My car is still a lot of fun. Overtaking is effortless. Though I do occasionally find myself wishing for a manual gearbox.

Does anyone do far have the sline with sport suspension and regret it?

No regrets here, although I'd describe the car as being on the firm side of comfortable. If you read back through this forum you'll find suspension choice is one of the most subjective issues there is!

All my cars A3, Q5 run full S-Line suspension, I purchased a 14 plate A1 S-Line for my daughter and have ordered a set of s-line springs as she prefers the s-line set up and the sport springs are being removed.

Reactions: First Ever Audi
All my cars A3, Q5 run full S-Line suspension, I purchased a 14 plate A1 S-Line for my daughter and have ordered a set of s-line springs as she prefers the s-line set up and the sport springs are being removed.

Any chance you can post a side on shot of your A3 so I can compare the gap in the arch?

Yeah certainly seems a can of worms

You are now aware of the suspension options and peoples' opinions. Everyone has different requirements and preferences. A proper test drive is the only way to be sure you are making the right choice.

Trouble is a proper test requires more than half a day or even a weekend. We travel all over the place and what suits on the M4 or M 5 is different in French villages or even the Somerset levels. Fortunately the Audi system on many models allows you to adjust settings hence I go as firm as possible and adjust down on MMI as appropriate .

Once again, road surface and quality have a huge impact. So does being used to ride of the car you're coming from. So try them both. I'm absolutely sure the advice on here is great but we cant make the decision for you.

Reactions: Daz Auto and PilotAudi
Is there any difference between s-line suspension and S Sports suspicion (for S3)?