Suspension Options S4 Avant

If I had to do it all again I would go with the PSS9.

You will find KW harsh if you think the Billstein/H&R set up is harsh.

I have V3's in my avant (same as V1's with two way bump/rebound control) which at speed (which in truth is why you buy them) they are by far the best things I have ever driven on. round town under 40mph they can get a bit lumpy. I live with it as their ability to soak up bumps at speed is awesome.
depends where you live.
I live in Edinburgh where the road surface is worse than the surface of the moon.
If you live in a manicured newly syrfaced city then they won't be a problem

The Eibach (Street Pro?) coilovers have had very positive reviews from UK owners. You can't always rely on US reviews when you've got to drive on British B-roads.

I would say ANY coilover is going to be harsher than a decent shock/spring combo.

The springs in a coilover kit need to be stiffer, to allow for the adjustability. The kits are sold offering (for example) -40 to -80mm, which means the spring rate needs to be high enough to ensure the car doesnt bottom out when set at -80mm, so if your running it at a sensible -40mm you're really needing softer springs.

Whereas the springs in a proper matched kit like the Bilstein B12/Koni SSK are designed to operate at one particular height, and the rate is matched to that height, meaning the whole setup ends up more supple.

IMO coilovers have no place on a road car.

Hi, I am interested in how these recommendations pan out as I would like to subtly lower my stock S4 (to get the stock wheels back into the arches!) and stiffen her up a tad, but not too much, as its hardly an old sofa to start with!!

What have people got on their S4's and what typically is the cost for a) parts and b)complete fitting?

I'd have not too many concerns about changing the parts myself tho am assuming the 4 wheel alignment would be essential after?

cheers AndyC for starting this one off.

Hi, I am interested in how these recommendations pan out as I would like to subtly lower my stock S4 (to get the stock wheels back into the arches!) and stiffen her up a tad, but not too much, as its hardly an old sofa to start with!!

What have people got on their S4's and what typically is the cost for a) parts and b)complete fitting?

I'd have not too many concerns about changing the parts myself tho am assuming the 4 wheel alignment would be essential after?

cheers AndyC for starting this one off.

Sounds like lowering springs would be best for you then. H&R and Eibach both offer these.

decent coilovers have two springs per shock.
the ride height change is taken up by a short soft and wide spaced helper spring.
the main spring rate is affected slightly (reduced) by this by if you drop it to the max the helper spring is coilbound so does not affect spring rate overall.

but cheapo coilovers will be affected by change in ride height much more

that does depend on the coilovers.... some just use the helper spring to stop dislocation on full drop..

I have been looking at some from K-Sport

we use a sister company for our Renault kits and are surprisingly good