Suspension Modification

• Thread starter imported_Spin140
  • Start date
I

imported_Spin140

Extremely happy with my car in general and the handling really is in a different league in comparison to the previous model.

I have noticed the nose can push wide if really pressing on so am now considering upgrading the Fr/Rear ARB's for the ones offered by Eibach, I am satisfied with the other components of the Audi sports suspension as don't want to compromise comfort too much, anyone done this yet ? opinions please /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Hi Spin,

I'm waiting on a FK Konigsport coilover kit as recommended by Richy. I went for the adjustable kit as I'm intending on hitting the tracks this summer (and not the barriers) and would like to tinker around with setups. This should be on with the Oettinger remap in the next couple of weeks and I'll let you know how that goes.

My sports suspension is crashing on all kinds of bumps right now, so i'm pretty sure the FK kit will be an improvement on what I've got right now. If my sport setup was working as it used to, the coilovers would I'm sure be a harsher ride.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There's more to reducing understeer than restricting body roll though,surely ?
Ok,it will reduce it a bit but wouldn't you have to get into toe-in/out settings to really have some proper effect ?
Surely the fact you've a dirty great heavy diesel engine at the front is the biggest problem ?

Wouldn't it be nice if cars offered the same adjustability as bikes.
On a bike,you can alter the handling by a startling amount with a couple of twiddles of a screwdriver !

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think spin140 has the better idea with ARB. Surely a stiifer rear ARB will promote a little more oversteer ?.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the case on my previous car, I do prefer the car to lean towards oversteer, at times my golf had some of the tendancies associated with rear wheel drive, good fun & IMO easier to control.

I have been liasing with danny @ RSD who is being very helpful and seems to agree that this would be an enhancement to what is already a very good suspension set up, planning on getting this done early june if all feedback is positive so will let you know how I get on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Yeah,my Golf Gti turbo used to have lift-off oversteer,which was dead easy to control and became good fun.
However,the thought of my missus having to cope with oversteer when a bend tightens unexpectedly scares the bejesus out of me...

Just to bring this back to life.

How did you get on with the rear ARB ? Did you install one and did it tame some of the understeer ?

I currently have a full Eibach setup on my Mark IV Golf and it handles like a dream. I will be looking to get the nose heavy A3 2.0TDi as close as I can to the handling of my Mark IV.

Cheers,

Paul

It never happened in the end as I bought a MK5 Gti june that year instead, but on reflection and having owned another A3 since the handling is pretty good as standard, so unless track is your priority just try living with it as standard especially if the S-line set up as this is already quite firm.

Spin.