1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suspension Height

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by JamS3, Sep 19, 2005.

1. JamS3

JamS3 Active Member

[Sep 19, 2005]
    Iv'e got rid of my 2001 S3 and traded up for a 2003 S3 in dolphin grey with loads of extras.

Iv'e noticed and I don't know whether it's just me but it sems to be sitting higher than the 2001 one (which was also a facelift version). The only thing I can think of it's a bit of a optical illusion as the 2001 had 17in rims on and my new one has 18in rims on??

Does anyone know the standard ride height of a S3 with 18in rims on? ie from road to silver sill panel which has the S3 logo on? Or if anyone does not know could somone measure theirs to put my mind at rest!

Cheers
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. imported_Strider81

imported_Strider81 Guest

[Sep 20, 2005]
    dont know the answer to ur q but congrats on the upgrade and a quick question.............

why the swap and what extras did u get?
  4. JamS3

JamS3 Active Member

[Sep 20, 2005]
    I was having loads of problems with mine with a lack of power issue and no-one could find what was wrong with it so I got shot.

With the new one I got the 18in alloys, privacy glass, tracker, bose symphony, cruise, silver leather, alloy mirrors and parking sensors!

Just seems to sit higher with the 18's but like i said may be just cause they look so much bigger compared to the 17's on my old one
  5. dickys3

dickys3 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Sep 20, 2005]
    Thats normal mate.. It will look more "jacked up" than normal on 18's...

Get the suspension sorted now and you'l be away!

Congrats on your new purchase!
  6. HTC

HTC Active Member

[Sep 20, 2005]
    Like dicky says, the distance from the centre of the wheel to the arch will not have changed, its just you have a larger rolling radius now.
  7. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[Sep 20, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Like dicky says, the distance from the centre of the wheel to the arch will not have changed, its just you have a larger rolling radius now.

[/ QUOTE ]

you shouldn't have a larger rolling radius...
    It should be the same, assuming you've gone from standard 225/45/17s to 225/40/18s...they are as close to identical as you'll get.

It's the fact that the sidewall is smaller that makes the gap look larger...either that or your older car has sunk on worn springs!
  8. JamS3

JamS3 Active Member

[Sep 20, 2005]
    Ess

Iv'e gone from 225/45/17s to the standard 225/40/18s on the new alloys.

I take it what Dicky said was correct then about having larger alloys than before making it sit higher than before?

Is it just appearing to sit higher or will the extra size alloy actually make it sit higher?
  9. madvw

madvw Active Member

[Sep 20, 2005]
    noo, the rolling radius (alloy including tyre) will remain close to identical to running 17's.
  10. JamS3

JamS3 Active Member

[Sep 20, 2005]
    So in that case then why does it look so much higher than my last one?

It's not just me! Even a few friends have commented that it seems to sit higher.

I called AMD to check whether or not this would be the case and they seemed to think the extra size alloy would cause it to be more raised than my old one was??
  11. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[Sep 20, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ess

Is it just appearing to sit higher or will the extra size alloy actually make it sit higher?

[/ QUOTE ]

As madvw says...it'll just appear to sit higher...it should actually be at the same ride height.
  12. JamS3

JamS3 Active Member

[Sep 20, 2005]
    Excellent cheers everyone just must be a optical illusion then!

Just another quick question. Im thinking now of lowering the suspension. I don't really take the car on the track and I'm not massively looking for a change in handling.

Is it ok just to go for lowering springs by themselves without tie bars etc? I was thinking of the Eibach or H & R ones. The thing I don't want is problems with uneven tyre wear etc...
  13. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[Sep 20, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]

Is it ok just to go for lowering springs by themselves without tie bars etc? I was thinking of the Eibach or H & R ones. The thing I don't want is problems with uneven tyre wear etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

Springs only will give a bouncy, ill damped drive...that's a bit of a handfull...not very nice....and that's on new, standard dampers. On worn dampers it'll be awful...

And you WILL wreck the inside edges of your rear tyres unless the lowering is less than 20mm.