1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suspension harshness

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by , Apr 27, 2005.

1. Online

[Apr 27, 2005]
    I have just picked up my new A3 1.8t sport, (2001) and find the ride on uneven potholed surfaces very harsh, is this normal?, 17" alloys nothing radical, and standard shocks etc, car is fine on long bends or motorways, A roads etc, but speed bumps (yes I slow down) or pot holes result in thumps and bangs, its a low speed thing.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. Dean_T

Dean_T Active Member

[Apr 27, 2005]
    i guess it depends what you were used to driving prior to the A3

i had a golf on coilovers so it was quite loose and wallowy to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

back to coilovers now!
  4. Online

[Apr 27, 2005]
    thanks Dean, I had an 1997 A6 2.8 Quattro before going down a size!
  5. The Slug

The Slug Active Member VCDS Map User

[Apr 28, 2005]
    Went down several sizes if u ask me, lol, u on a diet,
    Only joking

Sports suspesion is pretty firm on these cars even with 17"'s on, but i dont get major bangs or thumbs coming thro the cabin, only thing i hate is when tarmac is so bloody uneven, like rubble strips, u start to feel it thro ya seat, lol.
  6. cybrey

cybrey Member

[Apr 28, 2005]
    Suspension is quite hard ... but as said above it depends on what your used to. Friends got an Evo and thats an awful lot harder than this .. I had an MX-3 before this and its about the same ... You'll get used to it, btw its harder than than the 1.8 SE suspension as its got 'sports handling' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  7. Online

[Apr 28, 2005]
    i used to have a nova on traxspax coilovers before my audi, and the A3 TQ sport feels like a bloody bouncy castle now!

mind you, driving the nova feels like riding a boneshaker now haha
  8. AndrewB

AndrewB Member

[Apr 28, 2005]
    Could be suspension bushes? My Golf 1.8T started getting very crashy after about 85k miles. Standard 1.8T suspension, 17" wheels. Had the rear bushes replaced, which helped, but didn't get round to changing the front ones.

By 100k miles I was gritting my teeth before every bump, ramp, or expansion joint /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
  9. Online

[Apr 30, 2005]
    hi to all posters, and thanks for all your help, it was the front anti roll bar bushes, that were goosed, changed them today, and its a different car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif