1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

suspension change

jamie226bhp Apr 5, 2010

1. jamie226bhp

jamie226bhp Member

looking into changing the suspension on the 1.8tqs but don't want coilovers as i'll never alter them, just want some fresh springs and shocks, i remember having eibach years ago and they handled well, can anyone point me in the right direction as all the kits seem to be coilovers at about £500 and if you can find them the springs and shocks work out more expensive am i best just buying the HR springs with new standard shocks

2. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Your talking around the £500 mark for quality springs and shocks.

Eibach springs are about 150, but the OE shocks are pretty expensive, meaning its probably cheaper to simply buy a full kit, either shocks and springs from eibach, or something like a Koni SSK or Bilstein B12 all of which come in around £500.

3. jamie226bhp

jamie226bhp Member

cheers ill look into those 2 kits

4. AndyC

AndyC Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Personally I found the Bilstein very harsh. with large wheels it knocked out my bushes on a regular basis

it did handle well though

5. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

craigs running Bilstein B6 dampers and Eibach "pro-kit" springs, and the ride is as smooth as the factory stuff.

6. olds_kool

olds_kool Active Member VCDS Map User

had eibach on last a4 much prefere my current h+r springs

7. AndyC

AndyC Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I had yellow dampers, was good just knocked my arms etc out.... changed to std in the end and it was ace

8. jamie226bhp

jamie226bhp Member

ONLY GOT 235/45/17 SO NOT A HUGE WHEEL AND A BIT OF TYRE WALL FOR CUSHIONING, I LIKED THE WAY THE BILSTEINS FELT ON MY OLD CAVALIER SRI