1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround Sound Question

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ScottishS3, Feb 24, 2014.

1. ScottishS3

ScottishS3 Well-Known Member

[Feb 24, 2014]
    Hi All,

I have an Panasonic Surround Sound System that I have had for 9 years now and I am looking at replacing it. I have heard of newer systems with wireless speakers and also sound bars. Have sound bars replaced the traditional surround sound systems and are they really comparable?

I listen to sky and PS3 through my system but the current set up means I have to keep plugging the fragile optical cable into whatever machine I want to get sound through which is annoying (no HDMI on my current surround sound).

I would line to get a decent system that isn't too expensive.

Any ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 27, 2014]

3. sidibear

sidibear Looking for Zombies !! Staff Member Moderator

[Feb 24, 2014]
    Bose do a 30 day trial, send it back if you are not happy with it.
  4. cabby

cabby 3.0 V6 sound

[Feb 24, 2014]
    Onkyo tx nr626. It's a 5.1 or 7.2 amp with wifi and bluetooth connectivity and dlna, so your ps3 will love it. I bought t just before xmas and payed £289 for it, and it's brilliant. There's an app for smartphones, I could go on and on,...
    Have only got floor standing speakers,£100 sony's but wow. This amp makes them sound like the bose system in my a4 . Have a look on youtubes.
    ScottishS3 likes this.
  5. Nilz

Nilz Defo worth the wait :)

[Feb 25, 2014]
    Onkyo amps are very good and have excellent reviews, my bro in law has one with a Bose speaker setup, it sounds amazing!!!

Its defo the way im going when I upgrade mine, I would look for hdmi in and out, bluetooth, dlna and wifi as a minimum if you are future proofing and for speakers, im most likely going to go for Kefs. Ive always been a fan of them, so will contine to use them.

I currently have Kef Floor standers and Monitor Audio Bookshelf/Surrounds, but they are not being used, till I get the right amp etc.

I cant wait for the day it all starts to be used again :)
  6. cabby

cabby 3.0 V6 sound

[Feb 25, 2014]
    The onkyo 626 as two zones, so I put a speaker in the conservatory and one in the garage. Now the best bit is, the Mrs can watch Eastenders in the lounge and I can sit and listen to heart fm and and change the volume or channel from the conservatory. All with the aid of wifi and my smartphone app. Or play music from my phone.

The sound is just amazing, even with just the floor standers we get a sense of surround sound.
  7. manor13

manor13 Active Member

[Mar 7, 2014]
    I see these everyday and my two fav's are the Sonos soundbar @ £599 intergrates with ipod, and other sonos equip dear but better than the bose equivelant down the scale Phillips HTL5120 @ £250 if it integrated with my ipod i would have bought one but saving for the sonos.
  8. crazy88

crazy88 Loving the anonymity

[Mar 7, 2014]
    I have an onkyo amp and it's brilliant. Might be a 519, or something like that. Had it about 3 years now, and it's just so good.

I also bought a logitech harmony 700 remote so I can control everything at once, it's so so good. I press a button and it turns my TV, amp and tivo box on, sets it any predefined channel. It's a must for a complete AV setup