superkarls overhaul

this car is officially alive and kicking, or growling

congrates dude, now remove the battery and put it back in storage, its just better this way - trust me :)

Reactions: S3Alex, jojo, badger5 and 1 other person
There's no point now as you know it starts. It's that first start where you're crapping yourself about whether you've timed everything up right.
well, Il try and relive it for you. Or tell you...
i was apprehensive as ****, my dad was there and was cool as ice, he said don't worry.
key in, lights (good)
turn it over, derdedededededede (trying to start, not good).
stop, try again...
derdedede brummmmmmm brabrabrabrabrabra (no exhaust, cold start so crazy fast idle, sounded mental)
'yesssss! It runs! Finally'
'well done son'
(shakes hands, pat on back etc)

the end

p.s. My dad said the Turbo sounded ace

Reactions: MIGGZ, StaceyS3, Alex C and 1 other person
Some of us just relocate everything that can melt :)

Reactions: superkarl
Some of us just relocate everything that can melt :)
We cant all have uber builds, and my setup is far from optimal, so i have to do what i can.
I was this close to saying 'ahhh they'l be fine'. Which is probably the reason alot of people end up with burst lines and even worse, fire. To be honest the coolant feed is quite close to the downpipe, few inches maybe, so that one is getting as much protection as possible.

To briefly update people, whilst the subframe is off i have loads of room to work around the turbo, so will beef up the lines and double check clips etc.

These are some of the small things to fit:

034 subframe mounts with bolts (issam @ INA is the man)
R32 21mm front arb (its just down the side of the desk) with poly bushes, brackets and bolts.
Bolts for the bracket that secures the transfer box to the block
Various jubilees and stuff.

I also want these:

Theyre OEM rear subframe mounts for the v6 TT. Pictures courtesy of Grahams81 on SCN, who has an incredible build here:
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=297711
Ive not asked him for the part numbers yet, but i suspect they wont be cheap. But like to think they will be very worthwhile.

Hopefully fitting all that lot tomoro and/or saturday.
Thats all for now
:superman:

Reactions: StaceyS3, Dani_B19 and Alex C
Ooh i want those rear mounts. I've been looking at them on urst or whatever the website is, the one with the tubular front arms but their a fortune. May have to get these :).

Cars coming along nicely as well pal.

well i had a great weekend....naaaaaat.

first id like to share with you this from 034motorsport regarding the billet subframe bushes/mounts:

And now id like you to watch this:

Yeh, miles off. I was really ****** off by this. ANOTHER delay.

so i only fitted the R32 arb to the subframe and ****** around with turbo lines fitting this stuff:

Oem 19mm, which was probably more like 17mm where the bushes are, Vs R32 21mm:

At first i was worried about the height of the subframe bushes, but then realised the billet ones wont meet in the middle like oem:

And just a pic of the diameter of them:

Anyway im going to get onto Issam@INA who i bought them through, whos a good bloke to deal with, so hopefully there is a solution, perhaps it was a dodgy batch?
My only worry is with INA being in Canada, with shipping costs etc, a refund will be a small percentage of what i paid, and a pain in the ****, and even more of an expense for me in shipping. So i guess im kinda screwed and out of pocket. The oem bushes arent even soft and squishy, the gains from this mod must be so tiny its not worth it. Ah well, live and learn.

That sucks dude, so annoying when you get a part from across the world and it doesn't fit and keeps your car off the road.

It might be worth turning down the 034 bush and fitting a bronze/brass sleeve into the subframe or over the 034 bush in an attempt to get a tight fit.

That sucks dude, so annoying when you get a part from across the world and it doesn't fit and keeps your car off the road.

It might be worth turning down the 034 bush and fitting a bronze/brass sleeve into the subframe or over the 034 bush in an attempt to get a tight fit.
I was thinking something like that.
But thats more expense for something that is supposed to drop in (although not litterally)
This does explain why some people have reported clunking when fitting these. They probably overlooked the fitment, whacked them in and bolted it up. Their bushes will be oval by now.

Another thing i question is why they have such a shallow fitment, on something that has a rounded edge. Not alot of material to be fitting inside the subframe. As you can see from the side by side pic, it has half its depth in radius to clear before it should 'fit'.

This is from Sam's thread, seems the stepped OD should be 0.5mm larger and the step height seems to be the wrong way round, according to the picture.
Not sure where Sam got the drawing from.
@Sam_

Great. I've got these fitted but they were fitted by my local garage, looks like I'm going to be dropping the stretch bolts and checking them now :/.

The 034 metal bushes didn't fit very well in my LCR subframe. Later found out that I bought ones made for a standard MK4 platform subframe (LCR/TT/S3 & R32 have different size bushes apparently).

Were a snug fit in my MK4 golf subframe, much better than the LCR one.

Reactions: Scullies
The 034 metal bushes didn't fit very well in my LCR subframe. Later found out that I bought ones made for a standard MK4 platform subframe (LCR/TT/S3 & R32 have different size bushes apparently).

Were a snug fit in my MK4 golf subframe, much better than the LCR one.
cheers.
unfortunately mine have TT/R32 on the packaging.

ive not heard back from INA or 034 at all since Mon eve. Its surely a simple few questions for someone that should know their product

just to update on the whole INA/034 subframe bush fiasco.

I asked some very simple questions, provided pictures, measurements and even a fkn video, and still no reply in a week.
it is a few hours difference across the pond right? not weeks?

I've just filled a generic customer service contact form to 034 explaining that i'm not happy and it should be very simple for them, especially when they're contacted by a fellow colleague about it.

I then contacted Issam, who also fails to keep me in any loop, if one exists, asking for a FULL refund upon receipt of the items.

Yes, it will cost me, this whole thing will cost me probably what i paid for them, its a ******* joke. No courtesy or moral obligation to help someone who chooses to deal with them from a distance. The very reason i contacted INA in the first place is because i know they provide alot to people in the UK, and i assumed i was safe to do so.

This also gives you a very good understanding of what i originally thought was childish bickering on forums like vwvortex between vendors and customers, god knows what muppets they must deal with on a daily basis.

Contact them via their facebook pages, then you see how quickly they respond when the public can see your complaint.

just to update on the whole INA/034 subframe bush fiasco.

I asked some very simple questions, provided pictures, measurements and even a fkn video, and still no reply in a week.
it is a few hours difference across the pond right? not weeks?

I've just filled a generic customer service contact form to 034 explaining that i'm not happy and it should be very simple for them, especially when they're contacted by a fellow colleague about it.

I then contacted Issam, who also fails to keep me in any loop, if one exists, asking for a FULL refund upon receipt of the items.

Yes, it will cost me, this whole thing will cost me probably what i paid for them, its a ******* joke. No courtesy or moral obligation to help someone who chooses to deal with them from a distance. The very reason i contacted INA in the first place is because i know they provide alot to people in the UK, and i assumed i was safe to do so.

This also gives you a very good understanding of what i originally thought was childish bickering on forums like vwvortex between vendors and customers, god knows what muppets they must deal with on a daily basis.

Hi Karl,

This is no consolation,but fits with what I've heard elsewhere.

Variable at best,which is a pity not only for customers like yourself,but also for the company as some of the products are unusual.

It's also out of shape with the way that most other US manufacturers(with at least one exception) behave,as all of the dealings I've had with USP,USRT and IE have been everything you could want.

I can never understand why guys like this fall over on service....that's where your next sale comes from....

Hi Karl,

This is no consolation,but fits with what I've heard elsewhere.

Variable at best,which is a pity not only for customers like yourself,but also for the company as some of the products are unusual.

It's also out of shape with the way that most other US manufacturers(with at least one exception) behave,as all of the dealings I've had with USP,USRT and IE have been everything you could want.

I can never understand why guys like this fall over on service....that's where your next sale comes from....
It prob has something to do with the amount of money thats spent.
Were talking about something that cost little over £100.
If there was another zero on the there it might be a different story. Sad, but true.

All im wanting is something along the lines of 'they are definately wrong, perhaps a bad batch, ship them back and we'l send a new set out for free' or 'We dont know whats wrong, best we can do is offer a full refund. sorry'

Reactions: S3Alex
It prob has something to do with the amount of money thats spent.
Were talking about something that cost little over £100.
If there was another zero on the there it might be a different story. Sad, but true.

All im wanting is something along the lines of 'they are definately wrong, perhaps a bad batch, ship them back and we'l send a new set out for free' or 'We dont know whats wrong, best we can do is offer a full refund. sorry'

They should just bite the bullet,and replace or refund.

If the product doesn't fit,or doesn't work,it's not fit for purpose.

I know price is one aspect,but really,this comes down to attitude,and unfortunately,you aren't the first in this particular frame......Google is your friend.

Reactions: <tuffty/> and superkarl
I dont do facebook. And i dont reeeaaally want to be one of those guys.

F that, I have no issues being one of those people when I dont get what I pay for and their service is worse than their products - I feel rocks :)

For the amount they make off these things they should just ship you another set for free. What they going to do with an incorrectly machined product anyways ?

Reactions: daz-20vt, S3Alex and superkarl
To update,
034 have said subframes vary massively, and that I should smear with green Loctite and bolt them in and they will be fine.
With 1mm play all around, im not so confident.
Another option is Issam has offered to turn me a custom set to measurements I provide.

What do people think?