superkarls overhaul

Cheers that is an excellent price.

Its not really needed for me though, if i was going stroker id 100% be getting one, but with my puny 1781cc i can do without.

So i put the engine in, the engine out, i, out, in, out, shake it all about.

Friday night, in the dark, one strip light at the other end of the garage, a torch, and lots of swearing, on my own:

flywheel was torqued, clutch aligned and installed, pressure plate torqued, and gearbox fitted on the sat morning.
Dad cam and helped me on this occasion, massive thanks to him.
Also tried to torque the main crank bolt, this was 90nm and 10degrees:

il get the remaining 80 degrees some other time.

Engine is currently in the engine bay. Will prob be out again this saturday, and that will be the last time its fitted and removed. All for clearance/mocking up reasons.
Still some small, but lots of fabrication and fitment type stuff to do.
Downpipe, TIP, fuel pump, fuel rail spacers, boost gauge. fluids. bleed clutch + brakes etc.

Reactions: Jay A3, limbo118118, StaceyS3 and 2 others
Are you trying to make this the most difficult build on ASN :)

You need a MANSIZE socket dude and thats not Chinese mansize.

Did you use loctite on the crank bolt?

You get the RS4 Maf yet?

Lol, i txt my dad you see and said i need a 12point 19mm socket. I prob should have said mansize too. Ill get another, this was a spare of his not part of his man tools he uses at work.

Not loctite no, hmmm, should prob do that!

yeh the maf came dude, thanks, i shouldve confirmed receipt with you.
Tis mansize.
I noticed on my old maf actually, the element in it was no more, whether this as fallen out with me chucking parts around i dont know. Do you know if i can use the one in the rs4 housing?? Part numbers are 1 digit out, and same number of pins and same design?

Lol, i txt my dad you see and said i need a 12point 19mm socket. I prob should have said mansize too. Ill get another, this was a spare of his not part of his man tools he uses at work.

Not loctite no, hmmm, should prob do that!

yeh the maf came dude, thanks, i shouldve confirmed receipt with you.
Tis mansize.
I noticed on my old maf actually, the element in it was no more, whether this as fallen out with me chucking parts around i dont know. Do you know if i can use the one in the rs4 housing?? Part numbers are 1 digit out, and same number of pins and same design?

You ideally need an 049 sensor same as came out of the S3... RS4 sensors are different to both the narrow and wideband sensors... comes with a air temp sensor... I would have a word with whoever is going to be mapping your car for their preference though...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: superkarl
Thanks tuffty.
Does the temp sensor part just become redundant if used on our cars then?
I think i will exchange my old s3 one for a new one, start a fresh.

Not looked at an RS4 wiring diagram or plug but the S3 has 4 wires... I assume the RS4 would have 5 to accommodate for the air temp sensor... this would suggest its not used but as I said the response curves are likely to be different and therefore scaling out on the map...
CRW_4675.jpg

I rescaled my S4 MAF and it worked ok but could have done with a session on the dyno with the emulator to dial in the part throttle/low load stuff as the fueling was a little iffy on the lower air speeds... my car when finished will be emulated from the get go this time round though and Bill has got pretty good at dialing these in now :D

...I may look at experimenting with flow straighteners too...

<tuffty/>

Good job its an RS4 maf then dave.
Il keep things simple and put an s3 sensor in there, no point complicating things.
I also had some ideas for flow straighteners in the alloy tip, whether i do it or not remains to be seen

My new mega maf has a nice flow straightener built in but it'll be a while before I see how well the housing works, if at all. I have 2 RS4 housings spare just in case :)

I've just read this entire thread start to finish. Work isn't to happy about it but I found it interesting, Although I have no idea about half of the stuff talked about. It's just making me want an s3 more and more :blackrs4:

whys this engine coming out?

its only just gone in............. eh?
i have half a downpipe bill, it goes as far as to clear the prop. So its purely to see the fitment and neccessary extention of that, as well as lambda and egt placement because as you know things are tight on the MC side.

I also want to fit the engine, turbo with the downpipe on and fastened down all at once. I really dont fancy doing 5 downpipe bolts up while its on the car, you should see it lol. This whole install needs to be leak free from the get go.
Downpipe will be v-banded to squeeze in past the prop.

No, waiting till everything is done and its 100% good to go before i turn the key.

My list consists of:
Downpipe extension and decat inc egt and lambda.
TIP fabrication and fitting inc 90mm neck filter
extend actuator arm and double check 1bar crack pressure
Turbo oil feed still isnt done, also need to check size of restrictor
Install fuel pump
Install boost gauge
Space fuel rail
Fill fluids including bleeding brakes + clutch.

And i think thats it. Then watch it explode within a few minutes because i did something stupid :)

Not looked at an RS4 wiring diagram or plug but the S3 has 4 wires... I assume the RS4 would have 5 to accommodate for the air temp sensor... this would suggest its not used but as I said the response curves are likely to be different and therefore scaling out on the map...
CRW_4675.jpg

I rescaled my S4 MAF and it worked ok but could have done with a session on the dyno with the emulator to dial in the part throttle/low load stuff as the fueling was a little iffy on the lower air speeds... my car when finished will be emulated from the get go this time round though and Bill has got pretty good at dialing these in now :D

...I may look at experimenting with flow straighteners too...

<tuffty/>

Want me to take a pic of the wiring on my rs4?

Also, rs4's have an intake temp sensor in the bottom of the inlet manifold, same one as the 1.8t.

Think you may have me confused with someone else bill.
Ive no running or map issues, yet.

yea you did on facebook..
there are'nt any more superkarls are there?? lol

edit: senior moment.. "chris future legend carse" I got you mixed up with.

my bad...
damn.. my memories shagged today

Reactions: <tuffty/>
Superjew?

Reactions: Prawn, BENJAMIN, Jay A3 and 1 other person
No update? Surely Jason didn't offend you with his post?

Never... He just doesnt care about updating it anymore as no one other than a select few are really bothered.

Reactions: Jay A3
Never... He just doesnt care about updating it anymore as no one other than a select few are really bothered.

Seems to be the general feeling everywhere at the moment!

Sad though, I'm really looking forward to seeing this one come together, it should be worth the wait for SK

Been down with the flu this past 2 weeks.
And my schedule is intense at the mo, my degree takes priority over everythin so, right now i couldnt give two ****s about the car, i try and forget i have it sometimes.

when your car has been off the road as long as mine you lose the love and it becomes a chore, so its easy for me to forget about and concentrate on other things.
i used to always be thinking, gotta do this/that, order this, measure that, take things here and there. now i just take it as it comes when i have a spare few hours, hence why its taken so long

Reactions: Jay A3
I feel the same about my S3 when it comes to sticking bits on, it's a chore, but it needs to be done! At least mine is still road worthy! :laugh:

I feel the same about my S3 when it comes to sticking bits on, it's a chore, but it needs to be done! At least mine is still road worthy! :laugh:

Your s3 is still in its original wrapper :ninja:

Karl, completely understand where your coming from... It has been a rocky road but your not too far from the end now. Take you time and it will be worth it in the end. Studies first :)

when your car has been off the road as long as mine you lose the love and it becomes a chore

i know EXACTLY what you mean mate! I've always had mine on the road through most of my developments, i think the longest it's been out of action has been 2 months, and that was bad enough.

I really admire people who are able to keep up the motivation and put in the effort even when you're not currently getting anything back from the car. I've got mates who have been driving ****ters and building track cars and things for several years, without having driven anything decent for a few years, how they keep up the enthusiasm I have no idea!

it'll be great when it's done though, and you're on the home straight :racer:

when your car has been off the road as long as mine you lose the love and it becomes a chore, so its easy for me to forget about and concentrate on other things.
i used to always be thinking, gotta do this/that, order this, measure that, take things here and there. now i just take it as it comes when i have a spare few hours, hence why its taken so long
Lose interest in this baby and you will get a group falcon punch...FACT..:yes:

Reactions: Jay A3, Alex C, ScottD3 and 2 others