Supercharging the S8 V8

naraidoo

Reaction score
As part of the improvements I'm planning, I was wondering whether anyone had supercharged their S8 V8.

If you have, what was it like? And who did the modification?

Alternatively, has anyone explored turbo charging their car?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marcus

Sounds like an interesting plan... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I found this page a while ago. See also here.

I planned to contact them, but I'm a bit short of time now. I'd be very interested what you may find on this topic! IMO a charger would be relatively easier than turbo(s). But these guys could probably tell you all about it I guess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So you've got a reply then? I sent them an e-mail as well, but had no reply so far.

I asked them mainly about the supercharger, what I'd gain in power and what the kit would cost me.

I feel together with an adequate chip tuning this might be very interesting, and probably less strenuous on the engine and drive train as a nitro kit would be.

I'd need more info about NOS, since the stories are rather opposite. Some say it shortens your engine life dramatically, others say it's quite okay as long as you know what you're doing and it's installed properly.

Also I'd have to check if it still would be street legal in my country, since we have the weirdest laws and taxes when it comes to that.

Here is a UK based supplier by the way (significantly cheaper as well I believe). Otherwise type "wizards of NOS" in Google UK and you'll find plenty info. (I'm not kidding, that's the name of a well known system) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll let you know when I get a reply on the Supercharger. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've now had some more information from a UK based company which has experience in superchargnig Audi 4.2 V8 engines.

They inform me that I can "easily get" a power increase of 30% (that takes my engine from 360 to 468 BHP). The price includes engine management chip tuning and gearbox response improvements, plus the metal work which includes an intercooler and improved air mass control and breathing.

The down side is that they think it will cost £15k + VAT! That equates to £163 per additional BHP which is quite high.

I'm negotiating the price right now and if there is some movement then I'll let you know.

Finally, they go on to say that 30% is a conservative estimate and that they suspect that the final increase will take me much closer to 500 BHP.

Regards, Marcus

How about a simple remap instead ? Has anyone had it done/looking into it/thinking about it ?

I've just gotten off the phone with AMD and they do a remap for £350 + the dreaded Vodka and Tonic. They say that this will give around 20 bhp improvement and about 20 lb ft improvement. It'll take about 3 hours and you get a before and after power map for your car and the remap is tailored to your car, not a generic S8 map. They also say that it is undetectable to Audi dealers when servicing your car (in fact a lot of Audi demonstrators are chipped /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif).

No disrespect meant towards AMD, but doubt that you would really notice any difference with this sort of increase on an S8 in real world driving.

On the 15K supercharging subject!!! surely the RS6 route would be a cheaper way to obtain these sort of power gains on a 4.2

15K GBP is rather steep... Motodyne does this for $14K complete with remap and everything included. Now this is in the USA of course, but a 'kit' costs $13K, and they'll porbably know a tuner who can fit it in the UK. Still not cheap by any means, but a significant difference with the 15K pounds...

Does anyone know of a way of speeding up the response of the gearbox as Sven alluded to ? Can it be remapped or is there a "Turbo" button that can be pressed ?

If you guys can find a good supercharger kit for the S8 I know I can get it fitted for you, no one considered Nitrous ala Ronin yet? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

btw the AmD remap may only see 20bhp but that's the usual quoted extra pea, I see peak figures as a pub figure personally as what everyone forgets it's the increases everywhere else through the rev range which can make huge improvements in general driveability and performance!

Yeah, true. It's certainly interesting to have a good remap on both ECU & TCM. I might just do that, as the other options are quite expensive, however that would be very interesting... Hmm...

I have considered the NOS as well, but it'd have to be a wet system for me, which doesn't come cheap as well (contrary to the dry systems).

I have to look further into this, but at the mo I think a Supercharger will be the best for every day 'real world' driveability, compared to NOS. But I love to hear any experiences and opinions...

Who would be the tuner Wando? Is he familiar with the Motodyne (Lysholm) charger? Motodyne mentioned a tuner in Germany, which might be more convenient in my case, but going to the UK is another possibillity if that turned out better somehow...