Super Sports Seats

Itguy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I don't currently have these on my spec but have a few questions.

On the pictures it looks like the seat bases are just the same as standard, is that true or are they padded differently?

Are the side bolsters deeper/bigger?

Why are they better generally? I've seen all the "comfy" comments but please define this - I have a bad back and really do appreciate a good seat when I sit in one. I've elec lumber support on my spec already so the cost to upgrade to SSS is reduced slightly.

Persuade me!

I had the recaro heated buckets seats in my last S3 (£2500 option), they were very good. But the new super sports seats are even better! They are sat very low and are extremely comfortable, not sure if the seat bases are different to standard but the side bolsters are really supportive. Plus you get the electric lumber support to adjust.
Oh and they look amazing! The quilted effect is really nice and you get it in the rear too...
Just do it!!!

They are not anywhere as deep as the 8P S3 bucket seats but ALOT comfier!!

The cushioning is softer, when exiting the 8P vehicle the right lateral part of the seat was like a brick against my elbow as i used it to help myself out of the car, the SSS's literally spring you out..

The inside cushioning on mine is still very creaky though and it annoys me, i'm told it's normal so not sure what to do about it..

I used to find the old seats really hard on my thighs, very supportive but rock hard. Plus if you caught your nuts on the side when exiting it was rather painfull.

Another point to raise, if I may, is hopefully the absence of bolster creases in the leather of the new sss which became evident on the 8P buckets soon after purchase now matter how you obstacled your way . They should use the 8P buckets as a jigsaw game in the next recently announced Saw film!

Any thoughts on any potential bolster damage to the new sss or have Audi resolved this issue?

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Does anyone know if the SSS are the same in all S models? Just thinking about trying to track some down to sit in somewhere!

Pretty sure they are deeper than standard (slightly). Also it mentions that you can adjust the seat cushion angle - anyone got ideas on this? Do they mean the mechanism to raise/lower the seat or is this different?

Pretty sure they are deeper than standard (slightly). Also it mentions that you can adjust the seat cushion angle - anyone got ideas on this? Do they mean the mechanism to raise/lower the seat or is this different?

afaik just lumbar support is electric. Height and reach are manually adjusted unless you spec the £550 electric option.

Could be referring to the cushion under your thighs which is extendable?

Also it mentions that you can adjust the seat cushion angle - anyone got ideas on this?
On the standard sports seats, there is a lever to be able to raise/lower the front of the seat without changing the rear of the seat height. This allows you to position the front of the seat to support your thighs comfortably and is controlled by a small lever at the front right of the drivers seat (from memory). I would imagine the super sports have the same mechanism.

I had the Super Sport seats in the S5 (standard kit).

Wasn't impressed - they don't hold you that well. Perhaps more aesthetically pleasing, but not what I'd class as a sports seat and aged badly (in full leather guise).
Certainly would have specced the recaro buckets had they been available (guess they will be saved for the RS), but don't think the SS's would be worth the extra.........unless they can be lowered further than the standard seat (which is my only complaint).

Awesome seats, way superior in bolster and positioning compared to the rather poor standard seat....

Have you spent a lot of time in one?
I had 9 months in the S5 and they aren't a sport seat as I would expect.
The S5 seat certainly wasn't way superior to the standard current S3 seat.
I expect the seat in the S5 and the Super Sport in the S3 will be the same, but maybe not.
They perhaps looked better, but I prefer the S3 seat due to the Alcantara.

Had there been a Recaro Sportster type option that would be a proper sport seat and worthy of the extra premium.
Better things to spend your cash on IMO.

Last edited:
Have you spent a lot of time in one?
I had 9 months in the S5 and they aren't a sport seat as I would expect.
The S5 seat certainly wasn't way superior to the standard current S3 seat.
I expect the seat in the S5 and the Super Sport in the S3 will be the same, but maybe not.
They perhaps looked better, but I prefer the S3 seat due to the Alcantara.

Had their been a Recaro Sportster type option that would be a proper sport seat and worthy of the extra premium.
Better things to spend your cash on IMO.

the standard seat is ****e, this improves upon the standard seat. It's the only seat upgrade available, hence the selection. They do look great inside the Pantherschwarz exterior.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
the standard seat is ****e, this improves upon the standard seat. It's the only seat upgrade available, hence the selection. They do look great inside the Pantherschwarz exterior.

I disagree that they are "way superior" or "awesome" as you put it.
Real life and day to day use, not much in it.
They do look better though, will concede on that.

The super sport bolster is pronounced and effective in operation in comparison to the s line seat fitted as S3 standard.
the head rest is also effective unlike the standard seat.
the super sport seat drops lower than the standard seat and offers more lumbar adjustment as well.
the extension bolster under thigh extends further.
the seat base offers angle tilt which I'm unsure the standard seat offers.?

this makes them way superior in my opinion. Worth the extra £££.

They are not however a genuine sport seat, but the best available at the time of order and those that are using them rate their comfort highly too....

I do love the look of the super sports seats & I'm sure they're better than the standards but before I even thought about getting an s3 I knew I wanted a light interior. Got a bit bored of black, I've have had them myself and been driven around in them for a good 15 years. Just wanted a change!

The perfect seat for me would have been the RS5 seats in lunar silver. They're my favourite from the entire Audi range. This in combination with the carbon fibre inlays looks the bomb!

I wonder if it's possible to retrofit those seats in the S3?!

The super sport bolster is pronounced and effective in operation in comparison to the s line seat fitted as S3 standard.
the head rest is also effective unlike the standard seat.
the super sport seat drops lower than the standard seat and offers more lumbar adjustment as well.
the extension bolster under thigh extends further.
the seat base offers angle tilt which I'm unsure the standard seat offers.?

this makes them way superior in my opinion. Worth the extra £££.

They are not however a genuine sport seat, but the best available at the time of order and those that are using them rate their comfort highly too....

Head rest in standard seats effective, non adjustable in S5 supersports.
If the S5 seat is anything to go by they are only slightly lower, but not sure if that will translate to the S3.
under thigh extension in standard seats.
seat base in standard seat tilts angle (just located that this morning on first daylight inspection, so have improved my seating position).

Bolster better, but not brilliant. Adjustable lumbar support is a plus, but not something I used on the S5.

I'm definitely not trying to belittle your chosen spec, just have experience of day to day with the Super Sports and I think it's worth pointing this out for the OP as the standard S3 seats are not that bad, nor do the Super Sports improve things that much.

If you want a better seat take the standard ones and put the amount you save by not getting the Super Sports towards a set of these:

New Black Leather Recaro CS Bucket Seats Interior Ford Focus RS VW R32 Audi RS4 | eBay

they are a worthy upgrade!

Ok - decision made, I can't afford Panther AND SSS so Panther it is.

Thanks for the comments, I just can't justify the cost this time but maybe on the next one?

Reactions: the_lecht_rocks
It's one of the must have optional extras for the S3, very supportive and very comfy. I've just done a 200 mile round trip this weekend and I feel surprisingly fresh after it. Much better than the outgoing Audi version Recaro CS Sportster on the outgoing S3 which themselves were great seats if a little in tiring after a long drive. When it comes to selling your car on, you can guarantee that cars with SSS will carry a premium so makes sense.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and the_lecht_rocks
Head rest in standard seats effective, non adjustable in S5 supersports.
If the S5 seat is anything to go by they are only slightly lower, but not sure if that will translate to the S3.
under thigh extension in standard seats.
seat base in standard seat tilts angle (just located that this morning on first daylight inspection, so have improved my seating position).

Bolster better, but not brilliant. Adjustable lumbar support is a plus, but not something I used on the S5.

I'm definitely not trying to belittle your chosen spec, just have experience of day to day with the Super Sports and I think it's worth pointing this out for the OP as the standard S3 seats are not that bad, nor do the Super Sports improve things that much.

If you want a better seat take the standard ones and put the amount you save by not getting the Super Sports towards a set of these:

New Black Leather Recaro CS Bucket Seats Interior Ford Focus RS VW R32 Audi RS4 | eBay

they are a worthy upgrade!

It all depends on in which context ppl refer to them though.

I want them and think they add an extra element of sportiness whilst without being too 'aggressive' or hard to live with day to day. I will never track my car nor need recaros and even if I wanted them, there's no doubt my partner will struggle with them.

Imo the SSS is a nice compromise of adding slightly more sportiness to be used in a daily driver.

On the standard sports seats, there is a lever to be able to raise/lower the front of the seat without changing the rear of the seat height. This allows you to position the front of the seat to support your thighs comfortably and is controlled by a small lever at the front right of the drivers seat (from memory). I would imagine the super sports have the same mechanism.

Ahh nice one! Thanks for that

Ok - decision made, I can't afford Panther AND SSS so Panther it is.

Thanks for the comments, I just can't justify the cost this time but maybe on the next one?

good choice, not worth the extra IMO, better options to spend your hard earned on.

How do you find the thigh support? A big complaint I had with the standard seats on the demo S3 I drove was the lack of thigh support. Almost as bad as the seats in the TT RS I used to have. I need to go back and try adjusting the seat cushion I suppose to see if that makes a difference. The previous S3 had the same problem and I do wonder if the buckets on the new car will be any better? Cheers.

How do you find the thigh support? A big complaint I had with the standard seats on the demo S3 I drove was the lack of thigh support. Almost as bad as the seats in the TT RS I used to have. I need to go back and try adjusting the seat cushion I suppose to see if that makes a difference. The previous S3 had the same problem and I do wonder if the buckets on the new car will be any better? Cheers.

Unfortunately the thigh support in the SSS is pretty poor in comparison to the 8P Bucket Seats, so much so that i have had to re-train my legs in these new ones as they were flopping around all over the place having been so them being held in place..

The trade off however is how comfortable the SSS are in comparison, the old seats were like bricks

I did think about these but only really of use when solo driving. (or with a co-pilot rather than family/friends)

Way better support.. Big down side is poorer rear visibility and only available in leather. Decided not to but can see the appeal and way better than the 8P S3 ones.

Awesome seats, way superior in bolster and positioning compared to the rather poor standard seat....

23949d1385827106-super-sports-seats-image.jpg

What a frickin cool picture :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Agree the Super Sports Seats look the same design as in the S5- which I have now
The regular seats are very similar to the regular seats in the TT's - which I did have - and confirmed following drives I've had in A3's.
IMO the super sports seats look amazing and have incredible support and comfort - they get the balance just right.
Yes, they may 'hem you in' as much as full on buckets, but they are way way more comfortable on a day to day basis.
Buckets for track work or if you hit the Nurburgring on a daily basis but otherwise super sports seats all the way.
The regular seats are fine but they have a little less lateral support than the Super Sports Seats.

To be fair the outgoing Recaro buckets are more supportive when caning it than the SSS, but the latter are MUCH easier to live with. It's an S3 at the end of the day, not a race car. Most of us, including myself, will spend more time driving to and from work than clipping apexes on the track so Audi dropping the Recaros for the SSS is (IMHO) a decision that benefits the majority of their customers.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Lmg and geefunk1978
I couldn't decide whether or not to go for super sport seats - I didn't in the end, as there was no electric seat option with ss, just electric lumbar support. Shame really :unsure:

I couldn't decide whether or not to go for super sport seats - I didn't in the end, as there was no electric seat option with ss, just electric lumbar support. Shame really :unsure:

Strange, S5 Super Sports are standard and electric.

Unfortunately the thigh support in the SSS is pretty poor in comparison to the 8P Bucket Seats, so much so that i have had to re-train my legs in these new ones as they were flopping around all over the place having been so them being held in place..

The trade off however is how comfortable the SSS are in comparison, the old seats were like bricks

That's my concern - almost enough to put me off buying the car. I used to get out of my TTRS with aching legs quite a lot of the time. The seats in that were rubbish. I got so fed up with it that I actually got a small cushion to put between the seat and my thighs. I test drove a new S3 with standard seats and they were terrible. I half expect that while the sport seats will have much better bolsters, the thigh support will still be ****e. The only people who'll be able to get comfortable in those will be people with very fat legs! Interesting that I have seen negative comments in reviews about this aspect of the S3 seats... you'd think Audi could design a seat that was properly supportive wouldn't you?!!!! Even a bog A4 has better seats than an S3! We'll see anyway as the dealer has a demo coming in with the sports seats fitted and assures me one can adjust the cushion upwards to get the thigh properly supported - I was hoping someone with them on their S3 could comment on that? Even post a picture showing how much you can adjust the cushion? Cheers, much appreciated.

That's my concern - almost enough to put me off buying the car. I used to get out of my TTRS with aching legs quite a lot of the time. The seats in that were rubbish. I got so fed up with it that I actually got a small cushion to put between the seat and my thighs. I test drove a new S3 with standard seats and they were terrible. I half expect that while the sport seats will have much better bolsters, the thigh support will still be ****e. The only people who'll be able to get comfortable in those will be people with very fat legs! Interesting that I have seen negative comments in reviews about this aspect of the S3 seats... you'd think Audi could design a seat that was properly supportive wouldn't you?!!!! Even a bog A4 has better seats than an S3! We'll see anyway as the dealer has a demo coming in with the sports seats fitted and assures me one can adjust the cushion upwards to get the thigh properly supported - I was hoping someone with them on their S3 could comment on that? Even post a picture showing how much you can adjust the cushion? Cheers, much appreciated.

Can't understand why the TT gave you aching legs ????
Never had an issue with the seats in my TTS !
Granted they were not the most 'sporty' design of seat in terms of hemming you in, but they were comfortable enough.
Unless you rag your cars round country lanes or on-track on a regular basis and require masses of lateral and shoulder support ?

pat15312's comments above are spot on and a fair reflection of the majority of Audi buyers IMO.

Sounds like you will need to spec the SSS if you think the standard seats are terrible though.

Can't understand why the TT gave you aching legs ????
Never had an issue with the seats in my TTS !
Granted they were not the most 'sporty' design of seat in terms of hemming you in, but they were comfortable enough.
Unless you rag your cars round country lanes or on-track on a regular basis and require masses of lateral and shoulder support ?

pat15312's comments above are spot on and a fair reflection of the majority of Audi buyers IMO.

Sounds like you will need to spec the SSS if you think the standard seats are terrible though.

The reason you don't understand is because you're not reading what I have written.... THIGH support is what I am referring to, not the side bolsters. My RS had the same seats as the cheaper TTS, just fine in all areas but one - they were totally lacking in thigh support - that's the bit where the underneath of your leg meets the base of the seat - just to be clear what I am referring to. It is something that a number of people on the TT Forum have brought up. After more than an hour in that car my legs would start to ache, not good. Thankfully the buckets in my Cayman are a cut above those benches in my last Audi!

So, my question stands, as no one had actually been able to answer it yet - how much does the cushion adjust upwards so that one can bring the base of the seat up to support the underside of the legs? It will I am sure be the same on either the standard seats and the SSS in the S3 as the main difference in those seats is the amount of side support, not the base of the seat . Sorry to spell it out for a five year old to grasp, but sometimes it's the only way people get it :kiss: anyway, thank you in advance to any sensible replies. TBH, I'll find out for myself when they get the demo in with the SSS next week. Cheers, Mark.

The reason you don't understand is because you're not reading what I have written.... THIGH support is what I am referring to, not the side bolsters. My RS had the same seats as the cheaper TTS, just fine in all areas but one - they were totally lacking in thigh support - that's the bit where the underneath of your leg meets the base of the seat - just to be clear what I am referring to. It is something that a number of people on the TT Forum have brought up. After more than an hour in that car my legs would start to ache, not good. Thankfully the buckets in my Cayman are a cut above those benches in my last Audi!

So, my question stands, as no one had actually been able to answer it yet - how much does the cushion adjust upwards so that one can bring the base of the seat up to support the underside of the legs? It will I am sure be the same on either the standard seats and the SSS in the S3 as the main difference in those seats is the amount of side support, not the base of the seat . Sorry to spell it out for a five year old to grasp, but sometimes it's the only way people get it :kiss: anyway, thank you in advance to any sensible replies. TBH, I'll find out for myself when they get the demo in with the SSS next week. Cheers, Mark.

You like a good moan don't you - but it does make for entertaining reading :)

Having owned TT's for 6 years I have rarely heard of TT owners complaining about the seats to the degree that you suggest.
How long did you own your more expensive TTRS for out of interest ... we never did see a picture of it - any chance of posting a photo as the TTRS are really great cars with a superb engine.

The TT's do not have adjustable thigh bolsters as the seat bases are already extended in length, so this should compensate.
The A3's and S3's have adjustable seat bases for extra length but they have no upwards adjustment - just forwards & backwards and the super sports seats are the same.

So sounds like you may be out of luck.

The Super Sport Seat bases are identical to the regular S3 seat bases ... so you you may have to re-think buying an S3 as you mention if the seats are a deal breaker - and reason you got shut of your TTRS.